Ship Ahoy Maritime Heritage Exhibition

Links to any other maritime sites can go here
duncanwilson

Ship Ahoy Maritime Heritage Exhibition

Post by duncanwilson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:56 pm

The Ship Ahoy Maritime Heritage Exhibition, which was due to take place on Friday 30th March 2012 in the Renfield St Stephens Church Centre, Bath Street, Glasgow, has been re-scheduled and will now be held on Saturday 13th April 2013.
The new venue is the Carmichael Hall, Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock, Glasgow, G46 6UG. The Hall is connected to the Eastwood Recreation Centre. There is ample car parking within the Eastwood Campus (enter from Rouken Glen Road).
Among the organisations confirmed so far are Clyde River Steamer Club, West Highland Steamer Club, Coastal Cruising Association, Paddle Steamer Preservation Society, Model Steamer Club, Friends of Glenlee and MacBrayne Circle.
Short tours will be available on board a preserved MacBrayne’s bus giving participants a flavour of old-time bus travel.
The exhibition will open at 11am and close at 4pm. Admission is free.
Excellent bus services run to Eastwood Toll on the adjacent A77 road. Pedestrian access to Eastwood Park is at the Toll.
Stagecoach Buses Service No 4 runs from Buchanan Bus Station every half-hour to Kilmarnock and Ayr. First Bus Service No 38 runs to Newton Mearns.
The nearest railway stations are Giffnock and Williamwood. Trains depart from Glasgow Central to both destinations every half-hour to East Kilbride and Neilston respectively.
Exit Giffnock Station from the station building and walk along Station Road. Turn left onto Fenwick Road. After crossing the road proceed south until you reach Eastwood Toll. The pedestrian entrance will be on the right.
Exit Williamwood Station by using the path at the north end of the platform. Turn left onto Eastwoodmains Road. After crossing the road proceed west until you reach Eastwood Toll. The pedestrian entrance will be ahead on the other side of Fenwick Road.

Deepol

Re: Ship Ahoy Maritime Heritage Exhibition

Post by Deepol » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 am

Can I just issue a gentle reminder of this exhibition. Hopefully as many of you can come along to what promises to be a good day.
Paul Strathdee

duncanwilson

Post by duncanwilson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks Paul. I'll be posting another reminder at the weekend with a final line-up of exhibitors.
It has been easy publicising the event to the shipping community. It has been a bit more problematic publicising the event to the general public.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Hoping to come up - will bring some postcards and business cards for ClydeMaritime.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

duncanwilson

Post by duncanwilson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 pm

Ship Ahoy is all set for full steam ahead next Saturday, 13th April, in the Carmichael Hall, Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock, Glasgow, G46 6UK.
The latest organisation to join the list of exhibitors is the Fairfield Heritage Project who are involved in the restoration of the Fairfield Shipyard office building and in the history of the Fairfield Shipyard.
The following organisations will be taking part:
Clyde River Steamer Club, West Highland Steamer Club, Clyde Model Steamer Club, Paddle Steamer Preservation Society, Coastal Cruising Association, Waverley Excursions Ltd, Clyde Marine Services, MacBraynes Circle, Friends of Glenlee(The Tall Ship) and the Fairfield Heritage Project.
Caledonian MacBrayne and Western Ferries will be represented although they will not be sending any personnel to the event.
Both companies have sent a supply of timetables and souvenirs.
The cafe will be open throughout the day for tea, coffee and light snacks.
Look forward to seeing as many of you as possible next Saturday between 11am and 4pm.

duncanwilson

Post by duncanwilson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Ship Ahoy has been judged to be a great success although we do not have attendance figures.
We have been invited to mount the exhibition on board Maid of the Loch and also on board Glenlee.
The Organising Committee will meet next month to carry out an appraisal.
Many thanks to all who attended today.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Sorry I didn't manage up - had to wait in for a SKY engineer :(
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Some images from Ship Ahoy.
Attachments
Macbraynes-ShipAhoy13April2013-IMG00122.jpg
Macbraynes-ShipAhoy13April2013-IMG00121.jpg
Transport of delight to take you back to the leisurely days.
FairfieldHeritage-ShipAhoy13April2013-IMG00123.jpg
Stands being set up. This is Fairfield Heritage
Paul Strathdee

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 pm

And more.
Attachments
ClydeSteamerModels-ShipAhoy13April2013-IMG00124.jpg
Clyde steamer models
LochArdModel-ShipAhoy13April2013-IMG00127.jpg
LochArdModel-ShipAhoy13April2013-IMG00128.jpg