Steel & Bennie

User avatar
Bill Harvey
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Steele & Bennie Part 1

Post by Bill Harvey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:04 pm

This is a working document therefore is not 100% complete



STEEL & BENNIE LTD.


Original offices at 86, Broomielaw, Glasgow and still there in 1940

1851: James Steel departed from employ of Clyde Shipping Company as their lighter manager

1852: Glasgow & Greenock Shipping Company founded

For reasons unknown the proprietors of the Clyde Shipping Company placed an advertisement in the Glasgow Herald on the 1st February 1856 offering the said Company for sale.
(see below)


VALUABLE TUGS, LUGGAGE STEAMERS AND
LIGHTERS FOR SALE.

TUG STEAMERS

Conqueror, built of wood, has two engines of 60 horse power each.
Received new boilers and a thorough overhaul to hull and engines in June 1855.
Register tonnage, 86.

Wizard, built of iron, has two engines of 20 horse power each.
Register tonnage, 21.

Sir Isaac Newton, built of wood, has one engine of about 40 horse power.
Register tonnage, 28.

Nimrod, built of wood, has one engine of about 42 horse power.
Register tonnage, 28.

LUGGAGE STEAMERS

Glasgow, built of iron, has one engine of 30 horse power.
Register tonnage, 63.

Greenock, built of iron, has one engine of 30 horse power.
Register tonnage, 73.

Industry, built of wood, has one engine of 14 horse power.
Register tonnage, 52.

LIGHTERS

Ann, ----------------------built of wood Register tonnage, 53.
Betty, ----------------------built of wood Register tonnage, 53.
Clyde, ----------------------built of wood Register tonnage, 59.
Friends, ------------------- built of wood Register tonnage, 50.
Kelvin, ---------------------built of wood Register tonnage, 74.
Laurel, ---------------------built of wood Register tonnage, 42.
Bowling, --------------------built of wood Register tonnage, 63.
Newark, ---------------------built of wood Register tonnage, 63.

All the vessels are well found in Anchors, Chains, hawsers, etc. and the Luggage Steamers and lighters with the exception of Laurel are fitted up with cranes.
The above vessels being the whole steamers and lighters belonging to the Clyde Shipping Company, are now offered for sale in consequence of the dissolution of the present partnership. The vessels are all in good working order, fully employed in the business of the Company, and will be sold as a whole in one lot, or, excluding the Conqueror, together with the goodwill of the business, which has been successfully carried on for the last thirty-seven years, and, from the rapidly increasing trade of the Clyde is capable of being much extended.
Full particulars, and every information, will be given to intending offerers on application to James Lumsden, Jr, Esq., Chairman, 20, Queen Street, and sealed tenders will be received by him by the 27th inst.


The business and fleet was acquired by Archibald Kidston, his family and others.

1856: James Steel & Sons founded (2 of 8 sons)
trading as the Greenock & Glasgow Shipping Company.
John Steel - the eldest son 1826 - 1908
Robert Heron Steel - the fourth son 1832 - 1904

1859: From the Clyde Shipping Company Steel acquired for £ 2,180 - 3 luggage boats INDUSTRY, GREENOCK and GLASGOW and later the dumb lighters BOWLING and NEWARK

24th December 1862: David Bennie joined in a junior position.

1868: black white black funnel adopted

1871: John Steel & Kenneth McCaskill (J. Currie, manager) Glasgow
also at Londonderry and lasted until October 1906

1884: John Steel.

1887: John Steel & David Bennie incorporating the Glasgow & Greenock Shipping Company following death of James Steel

18xx: Glasgow and Galloway Steam Packet Company founded for coastwise trading between Glasgow, Kirkudbright and the Wigtownshire ports initially with the coasters MERLIN and RONA followed by STARLING and supplemented by GANNET, PENGUIN and PELICAN when justified.

22.6.1903: Steel & Bennie Ltd. incorporated (Company Registered No. SC5380)
Nephew David Finlay Bennie joined bachelor David Bennie.

1904: David Finlay Bennie appointed Director and later secretary


1917: David Bennie retired owing to ill health after 55 years.
David Finlay Bennie succeeded him as Managing Director until his death on 1st November 1955 aged 74

1917: Substantial controlling shareholding taken by Houlder Brothers & Company Ltd., London

22nd March 1922: David Bennie died aged 78

3.1925: Lighterage business sold to Clyde Cargo Steamers.


WW2 Warrior offered by David Finlay Bennie as a template for the government’s Warrior class of empire tugs. Outbreak fleet:- 8 = CAMPAIGNER; CHIEFTAIN; CRUISER; STRONGBOW; THUNDERER; VANGUARD; WARRIOR; WRESTLER;
THUNDERER sent to scapa flow;
WARRIOR sunk and extensively damaged during air raid but refurbished and returned to service.
Numerous managed tugs sent from London including CONTEST, OCEAN COCK, SUN XI, SUN XV and RACIA.

1945: P.S. MacCallum (son in law of David Finlay Bennie) joined from Army service as assistant manager.

January 1947: P.S. MacCallum appointed a director

1950: P.S. MacCallum appointed secretary upon retirement of Duncan Kerr after 50+ years service.

November 1955: P.S. MacCallum appointed Managing Director upon death of DFB one of the original founders of the British Tugowners Association.

November 1955: J. D. Hendry appointed company secretary

1969: Houlder Bros. & Company sold the Company to R. & J. H. Rea Ltd., London.

2.7.1970: Steel & Bennie Ltd, was restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd. by
R. & J. H. Rea Ltd who also restyled as Cory Ship Towage Ltd.

1972: Wm. Cory & Son Ltd., and subsidiaries including Cory Ship Towage Ltd., taken over by the Ocean Steam Ship Company Ltd. (Blue Funnel Line) Liverpool

1975: Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., fleet was transferred to parent Cory Ship Towage Ltd.

24.7.1995: The dormant Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., was liquidated.


MEANWHILE

1985: Owners restyled as Cory Towage Ltd.


2000: Cory Towage Ltd. acquired by Wijsmuller B.V., Holland and restyled as Wijsmuller Marine Ltd.

2001: Wijsmuller Groep B. V. acquired as a subsidiary by A/S Em Z. Svitzer, Denmark (A. P. Moller Group)




The fleet is a working document and therefore not 100% complete in detail at the current time


SIR CHARLES NAPIER (1856 - 1869) wooden paddle tug.
O.N. 7648. g. 19n. 71.8 x 14.2 x 8.3 feet.
Post 1856: 51g. 13n. 72.9 x 15.0 x 8.3 feet.
1-cyl. engine. 28hp.
27.7.1854: Completed by Robert and Richard Stobbs, N. Shields for William Hall, Whitehill Point, Northumberland.
1856: Purchased by James and John Steel; John Cunningham and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow and Greenock. Re-measured.
1859: James Steel, Glasgow.
1860: John Steel, Glasgow.
1869: John Gardner, Glasgow.
1872: Sold to William Liddell, Glasgow.
1887: Demolished.

FIREFLY (1856 - xxxx) wooden paddle tug.
O.N. 2961. 56g. 19n. 73.0 x 18.0 x 8.0 feet
Post 1856: 51g. 7n. 75.6 x 15.2 x 8.1 feet.
1-cyl. engine. 30hp.
6.3.1854: Completed by unspecifed S. Shields builders for Robert Lister, Sunderland.
1856: Purchased by James and John Steel; John Cunningham and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow and Greenock. Re-measured.
1859: James Steel, Glasgow.
1860: John Steel, Glasgow.
1870: John Gardner, Glasgow.
1873: Sold for demolition.

JAMES WATT (1857 - xxxx) iron screw lighter.
O.N. 19488. 69g. 47n. 79.0 x 17.2 x 7.1 feet.
Post 1877: 85g. 53n. 93.9 x 17.2 x 6.9 feet.
2-cyl. engine. 15hp.
Post 1877: 2-cyl. (11”x 18”) engine made by Alexander Campbell & Company, Glasgow. 15hp.
4.1857: Launched by Thomas B. Seath, Rutherglen, (Yard No. 1), for James and John Steel; John Cunningham and Kenneth McCaskill jr., Glasgow and Greenock.
6.1857: Completed.
1859: James Steel, Glasgow.
1861: A. McGeorge, Glasgow.
1869: John Steel, Glasgow.
1877: Lengthened by Thomas B. Seath & Company, Rutherglen. Re-engined.
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1905: Sold for demolition.


HENRY BELL (1857 - ) iron screw lighter.
O.N. 20524. 69g. 47n. 78.7 x 17.2 x 7.0 feet.
2-cyl. engine. 15hp.
4.1857: Launched by Thomas B. Seath, Rutherglen, (Yard No. 2), for James and John Steel; John Cunningham and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow and Greenock.
6.1857: Completed.
1858: Registered.
1859: James Steel, Glasgow.
1860: A. McGeorge, Glasgow.
1862: John Steel, Glasgow.
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1903: Sold to unspecified Swansea buyers.
???????????????


GENERAL WILLIAMS (1857 - 1888)
O.N. 19486. 60g. 11n. 79.4 x 15.7 x 8.5 feet.
Post 1869: 60g. 3n.
1-cyl. engine 35hp.
1856: Completed by unspecified S. Shields builders for unspecified owners and was not registered.
1857: Purchased by James and John Steel; John Cunningham and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow and Greenock.
1859: James Steel, Glasgow.
1868: John Steel, Glasgow.
1869: Sold to John Steel and Kenneth McCaskill, and re-measured.
1887: Steel & Bennie.
1888: Sold for demolition.


INDUSTRY (1859) & (1861 – 1873+) wooden sloop rigged paddle vessel.
O.N. 6383. 58 tons burthen. 68.1 x 17.1 x 8.1 feet.
Post 1837: 53 tons burthen. 66.9 x 14.7 x 8.1 feet.
Post 1850: 80g. 53n.
Lever, 1-cyl. low pressure engine made by G. Dobie and Company, Glasgow. 10 hp.
1828: Refitted with a 1-cyl. (23” x 45”) engine made by Caird and Company, Greenock. 14 hp.
14.4.1814: Completed by John & Wm. Fife, Fairlie, Ayrshire, for Cochrane and McTaggart, Glasgow.
9.1.1815: Whilst on Government service and on passage from Cork to Dublin, ran ashore in Holyhead Bay, Anglesey.
1815: Purchased by J. Henderson, Wm. Croil and Dugald McPhee, Glasgow.
1815: Transferred to the Clyde Shipping Company.
1828: Re-engined.
27.11.1838: Registered at Glasgow.
11.1856: Company purchased from previous owners by Archibald G. Kidston and family, Glasgow.
17.1.1859: Sold to James Steel and Sons, Glasgow.
10.2.1859: Sold to Alexander McGeorge, Bowling.
29.7.1869: Sold to J. Steel and Kenneth McCaskill jnr., Greenock.
1873: Withdrawn from service and laid up in Bowling Harbour.
13.5.1884: Register closed - “now a wreck in Bowling Harbour and only fit for breaking up”.
1890: Hulk reported as still lying at Bowling.



GLASGOW (1859) & (1861) iron paddle luggage boat.
O.N. 6385. 97g. 63n. 80.2 x 18.2 x 7.4 feet.
1856: 88g. 56n. 81.8 x 19.1 x 7.2 feet.
Lever, 1-cyl. (32” x 30”) low pressure engine made by the shipbuilder. 35 hp.
1841: Built by Caird and Company, Greenock (Yard No. 1), for the Clyde Shipping Company.
11.1856: Company purchased from previous owners by Archibald G. Kidston and family, Glasgow.
17.1.1859: Sold to John Steel and others, Greenock.
10.2.1859: Sold to Alexander McGeorge, Bowling.
29.1.1861: Sold to James Steel and Sons, Glasgow, trading as the Glasgow and Greenock Shipping Company.
15.8.1861: Sold to John Cowle and others, Manchester, registered at Liverpool.
19.8.1863: Sold to Matthew Wells, Lurgan, County Armagh, Ireland.
1864: Demolished.
16.11.1866: Register closed.


GREENOCK (1859) & (1861) iron luggage boat.
O.N. 15468. 111g. 74n. 80.7 x 18.2 x 8.1 feet.
1856: 92g. 58n. 81.7 x 19.0 x 7.7 feet.
1864: 88g. 56n.
Lever, 1-cyl. (32” x 30”) low pressure engine made by the shipbuilder. 35 hp.
1842: Built by Caird and Company, Greenock (Yard No. 2), for the Clyde Shipping Company.
11.1856: Company purchased from previous owners by Archibald G. Kidston and family, Glasgow.
17.1.1859: Sold to John Steel and others, Greenock.
10.2.1859: Sold to Alexander McGeorge, Bowling.
29.1.1861: Sold to James Steel and Sons, Glasgow, trading as the Glasgow and Greenock Shipping Company.
15.8.1861: Sold to John Cowle, Manchester, registered at Liverpool.
19.8.1863: Sold to Matthew Wells, Lurgan, County Armagh, Ireland.
20.4.1864: Converted into a flat.
16.10.1865: Sold to Alexander Cansh, Liverpool.
20.11.1867: Sold to Wm. Barrel, Liverpool.
1870: Sold to Peter and Henry Bagot, Liverpool.
1876: Sold to J. T. Bragg, Liverpool.
20.6.1876: Register closed – sold for demolition.


24th December 1862 - David Bennie joined James Steel & Sons as junior partner


TWO SISTERS (1863 - xxxx) (lighter)
1863: Acquired.



GREENOCK (2) (1864 - xxxx)
1864: Completed by


LORD DERBY (1866 - xxxx) tug



VANGUARD (1) (1868 - 1916) Iron Paddle tug.
O.N. 60455. 139g. 29n. 114.6 x 18.7 x 9.7 feet.
Post 1882: 139g. 20n.
Post 1890: 144g. 24n.
L.1-cyl. (38½” x 57”) engine made by Finnieston Company, Glasgow. 50 HP.
1868: Completed by Robertson & Company, Greenock, (Yard No. 7), for Robert Heron Steel, Glasgow. (J. Steel & Sons, Glasgow).
1871: Sold to John Steel & Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow.
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
19.11.1916: Sank in dock at Glasgow, raised and sold for demolition.
1917: Demolished.


ADMIRAL (1869 - xxxx) Paddle steamer / tug.
O.N. 55461. 149g. 38n. 115.9 x 19.7 x 10.7 feet.
Post 1869: 149g. 25n.
Post 1881: 149g. 21n.
Post 1890: 149g. 30n.
L.1-cyl. (40” x 60”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 60 HP.
1866: Completed by T. Hepple & Son, Low Walker Newcastle, for unregistered owners
1868: Sold to the United Steam Towing & Navigation Company, Glasgow and registered at Greenock.
1869: Sold to Robert Heron Steel, Glasgow and remeasured. (J. Steel & Sons, Glasgow).
18xx: Steel & Bennie
1891: Sold to David Beven, William Hepple and others, N. Shields.
10.9.1891: Sank off Spurn Head.



LOUGH FOYLE (1871 - 1879) iron paddle steamer.
O.N. 15462. 124g. 0n. 163.9 x 16.3 x 7.1 feet.
Post 1877: 124g. 53n.
Post 1879: 124g. 41n.
Post 1882: 124g. 28n.
L.1-cyl. (45” x 42”) engine made by John Barr, Glasgow. 80 HP.
1853: Completed as LOCH GOIL by Barr & McNab, West Renfrew, for Loch Goil & Loch Long Steamboat Company, Glasgow. (Loch Goil Steam Packet Co, Glasgow ??)
1869: Daniel Carmichael & Alexander Laird, Glasgow.
1871: John Steel & Kenneth McCaskill Ltd. (J. W. Currie, manager) Glasgow and renamed LOUGH FOYLE.
1871: Converted to a tug/tender for employment Londonderry / Moville.
1879: Sold to G. Ireland (jnr).
1880: Sold to Henry Sharp, Glasgow.
1885: Sold to David McBrayne, Glasgow, and renamed LOCHNESS.
1912: Sold for demolition ????????????



NEWARK (1871 - 1895) iron gabbart.
O.N. 6373. 63 tons 67.5 x 17.4 x 6.4 feet.
1856: 52g. 68.4 x 17.7 x 6.3 feet.
1846: Built by John Reid and Company, Port Glasgow, for the Clyde Shipping Company. 11.1856: Company purchased from previous owners by Archibald G. Kidston and family, Glasgow.
6.1861: Sold to Wm. Rintoul and others, Glasgow.
3.1866: Sold to Wm. Cowan, Glasgow.
3.1871: Sold to John Steel and Kenneth McGaskill, Glasgow.
1892: Transferred to John Steel and David Bennie, Glasgow.
1895: Sold for demolition.


RENFREW (1871 - 1888) iron steam lighter.
O.N. 28214. 54g. 49n. 70.3 x 17.6 x 6.8 feet.
Post 1861: 2-cyl. (8¼” x 16”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 8 HP.
1857: Built by Wm. Simons and Company, Whiteinch (Yard No. 86), for the Clyde Shipping Company.
24.6.1861: Sold to Wm. Rintoul, G. and J. Brymner and others, Glasgow.
21.3.1866: Sold to Wm. Cowan, Glasgow.
21.3.1871: Sold to J. Steel, Glasgow and Kenneth McCaskill, Greenock.
16.5.1884: Sold to J. Steel. Glasgow.
1888: Sold to Wm. Lever, Bebington, Cheshire.
7.11.1895: Stranded in River Mersey and became a total loss.


DUNGLASS (1871 - 1900) iron steam lighter
O.N. 28213. 54g. 49n. 68.3 x 17.7 x 6.8 feet.
Post 1861: 2-cyl. (8¼” x 16”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 8 HP.
1857: Built by Wm. Simons and Company, Whiteinch (Yard No. 87), for the Clyde Shipping Company.
24.6.1861: Sold to Wm. Rintoul, G. and J. Brymner and others, Glasgow.
21.3.1866: Sold to Wm. Cowan, Glasgow.
21.3.1871: Sold to J. Steel, Glasgow and Kenneth McCaskill, Greenock.
16.5.1884: Sold to J. Steel. Glasgow.
1900: Sold to unspecified Dundee buyers. No further details found.


BOWLING (1871 - 1886) iron gabbart.
O.N. 6374. 52 reg. tons. 68.7 x 18.0 x 6.4 feet.
Post 1886: 1-cyl (12” x 12”) engine made by John Sprout, Greenock. 40HP.
1846: Built by John Reid, Port Glasgow, for the Clyde Shipping Company.
11.1856: Company purchased from previous owners by Archibald G. Kidston and family, Glasgow.
6.1861: Sold to Wm. Rintoul, Glasgow.
3.1866: Sold to Wm. Cowan, Glasgow.
3.1871: Sold to John Steel and Kenneth McGaskill, Glasgow.
3.1886: Sold to James Gush, Greenock.
3.1886: Steam engine fitted.
1893: Sold to Alexander Gilfinnan and Thomas Williams, Port Glasgow.
1897: Sold to James Aim, Kirn, Argyll.
25.10.1899: Foundered, believed between Greenock and Inverary, Argyll.


RONA (1871 - xxxx) Coaster. (Mirimar states a tug)
O.N. 62788. 114g. 67n. 107.5 x 18.2 x 8.8 feet.
I. 2-cyl. (16” x 18”) engine made by Clarkson Bros., Glasgow. 20 HP.
9.3.1870: Launched by Henry Murray & Company, Port Glasgow, (Yard No. 21), for W. R. Aitken.
Glasgow & Galloway Steam Packet Company, (James Steel & Sons, owning managers)


PELICAN (1871 - ) iron screw coaster
O.N. 63858. 94g. 54n. 83.9 x 18.8 x 8.5 feet.
Post 1878: 131g. 76n. 108.8 x 18.9 x 8.3 feet.
C.2-cyl. (14” & 24” x 18”) engine made by A. Campbell & Company, Glasgow. 30 HP
1871: Completed by T. B. Seath, Rutherglen, (Yard No. 111), for John Steel and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.


PENGUIN (1871 - xxxx) iron screw coaster.
O.N. 63849. 94g. 56n, 83.9 x 18.8 x 8.6 feet
Post 1877: 129g. 80n. 107.6 x 18.7 x 8.5 feet.
2-cyl. (13” x 18”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 15 RHP.
1871: Completed by London & Glasgow Engineering, Shipbuilding & Iron Company Ltd., Glasgow, (Yard No. 129 ?), for John Steel and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow.
1877: Lengthened.
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.
19 : Sold to ??????????
By 1930 owned by William Jones, retaining Glasgow registry.
1936: Sank in Lough Neagh, N. Ireland


HERON (1872 - 1878) screw smack tender
O.N. 67977. 121g. 55n. 120.1 x 20.0 x 8.1 feet
2 Vr D.A. (24” x 24”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 60 HP.
1872: Completed by the London & Glasgow Engineering & Iron Shipbuilding Company Ltd., Glasgow for John Steel and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow.
1878: Owned by Manila Yengari Company Ltd., Malaya.
1881: Sold to Captain James Connor, refitted by the Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock and Engineering Company, and based at Haiphong.
c.1882: Sold to J. Sharp and P. V. Grant (registered owners for Nils Moller), Shanghai.
1885: Re-boilered at Hong Kong.
1886: Chartered to Boyd & Company, Shanghai for employment as a salvage steamer.
4.1887: Sold to Taku Tug & Lighterage Company, (J. Watts registered owner) registered at Shanghai
1893: Re-engined.
6.1941: Sold to Toa Kaiun K.K., Tokyo.



HOTSPUR ( ) (1872 - 1903) iron paddle tug.
O.N. 65423. 103g. 16n. 97.4 x 18.1 x 9.2 feet.
Post 1881: 103g. 8n.
Post 1895: 109g. 7n.
L.1-cyl. (35” x 45”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 45 HP
4.1872: Completed by Thomas Hepple & Company, Low Walker, Newcastle (Yard No.288), for Robert Kitvery, N. Shields.
1872: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.
1903: Sold for demolition.


SEAGULL (1872 - 1877) iron screw tug.
O.N. 63876. 49g. 4n. 80.6 x 14.2 x 9.2 feet.
2-cyl. (15” x 18”) engine made by Kincaid, Donald & Company, Greenock. 35 HP
1872: Completed by Thomas B. Seath & Company, Rutherglen (Yard No.129), for John Steel and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow.
1877: Sold to unspecified ‘Foreign’ owners.
1888: Sold to James Watts (for Peiho Tug & Lighter Co, Taku) Hong Kong.
1889: Taku Tug & Lighter Company Ltd, Shanghai
1891: Sold by Taku Tug & Lighter Company in 1891 (though still listed as owned James Watts in MNL up to 1939!)??


OSPREY (1872 - 1907) iron screw tender.
O.N. 67974. 100g. 40n. 105.8 x 18.1 x 8.2 feet.
Post 1914: 111g. 44n.
2-cyl. (20” x 20”) engine made by Kincaid, Donald & Company, Glasgow. 40 HP.
Post 1891: C.2-cyl (13 & 24” x 20”) engine made by Rankine & Blackmore, Greenock. 40nhp 140 ihp
1872: Completed by T. B. Seath, Rutherglen (Yard No. 132), for John Steel and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow.
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.
1907: Sold to the Waterford & Duncannon Steamboat Company Ltd., Waterford.
1912: Sold to Frank Jackson, Liscard, Cheshire.
1914: Repaired following damage.
1915: Sold (mortgagee) to Charlton & Company Ltd., Grimsby.
1931: Sold to Charltons Engineering & Shipbuilding Company Ltd., Grimsby.
1933: Sold to Charltons Salvage Company Ltd., Grimsby.
11.12.1934: Sank in the R. Ouse.


SEAGULL (2) (1877 - 1891) Paddle steamer.
O.N. 76778. 107g. 47n. 121.0 x 19.4 x 7.7 feet.
Post 1887: 107g. 28n.
L.1-cyl. (35½” x 54”) engine made by Hepple & Company, S. Shields. 50 HP.
1877: Completed by John Softley & Company, South Shields, for John Steel and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow.
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1891: Sold to owners at Rye.



ALBATROSS (1878 - 1911) Paddle steamer.
O.N. 78609. 139g. 72n. 141.0 x 19.1 x 7.7 feet.
Post 1887: 157g. 53n.
L.1-cyl. (40¼” x 54”) engine made by Hepple & Company, S.Shields. 60 HP.
4.4.1878: Launched by John Softley & Company, South Shields, for John Steel and Kenneth McCaskill, Glasgow.
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.
1911: Sold for demolition.


PETREL (1880 - )
O.N. . 167g. 93n. 112.2 x 20.6 x ft.
C.2-cyl. (18” & 36” x 27”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 54 RHP / 600 IHP.
24.8.1880: Launched by Barclay, Curle & Company, Glasgow (Yard No. 295), for John Steel & Sons, Glasgow.
1884: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.


JANE MC COLL (1881 - ) Schooner.
O.N. 60383. 94g. 87n. 81.2 x 20.4 x 9.4 feet.
9.1868: Completed by McLean, Rothesay, (Yard No. ), for
1881: Sold to John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.



SAMSON (2) (1886 - 1933)
O.N. 93267. 151g. 18n. 115.6 x 19.2 x 10.0 feet.
1-cyl. (38½” x 57”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 50 HP.
1886: Completed by D. & W. Henderson and Company Ltd., (Yard No. 324), for John Steel, Glasgow.
1887: Sold to John Steel & David Bennie, Glasgow.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.
1933: Demolished.



GANNET (1890 - 1895) Coaster.
O.N. 97637. 228g. 118n. 135.0 x 21.5 x 9.8 feet.
C.2-cyl. (18” & 36” x 24”) engine made by W.Kemp, Glasgow. 55NHP/ 330IHP 10½ Kts
5.5.1890: Launched by McGill & Gilmour, trading as D McGill & Company Ltd., Irvine (Yard No.8), for John & Robert Steel and David Bennie, Glasgow.
27.11.1895: Wrecked at Port Ellen.



MERLIN (1890 - ) Coaster.
O.N. 98590. 151g. 75n. 105.0 x 19.6 x 8.6 feet.
C.2-cyl. (13” & 24” x 18”) engine mnufactured by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow. 25 HP.
28.10.1890: Launched by McGill & Gilmour, trading as D.McGill & Company, Irvine, (Yard No. 9), for Steel & Bennie incorporating the Glasgow & Greenock Shipping Company.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.


NEPTUNE (1893 - 1920) Screw tug.
O.N. 102585. 165g. 5n. 100.0 x 21.1 x 10.8 feet.
C.2-cyl. (18” & 36” x 27”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 54 RHP / 600 IHP
26.7.1893: Launched by Barclay, Curle & Company, Ltd., Glasgow, (Yard No.385), for John and Robert H. Steel and David Bennie. (Steel & Bennie)
1903: Steel & Bennie Ltd, Glasgow
1920: Sold to West Coast Towage & Salvage Company Ltd., Liverpool.
1925: Sold to Thomas Young, Sunderland.
1926: Sold to British & Mediterranean Lighterage Company Ltd., London.
1928: Transferred to Greek registry. KOZLU (1928)
193x Eregli Sirketi (Société d'Heracles), Istanbul
1939 Eti Bank-Eregli Komurleri Isletmesi, Zonguldak


DESPATCH (189x - xxxx) Lighter. (Mirimar states tug)
O.N. 63778. 167g. 96n. 119.0 x 21.1 x 10.6 feet.
2-cyl. (24” x 24”) engine made by Finnieston Company, Glasgow. 70 RHP
12.5.1870: Launched by R. Duncan & Company, Port Glasgow, (Yard No.51), for Anchor Line
7.1870: Completed.
189x: Purchased by Steel & Bennie incorporating the Glasgow & Greenock Shipping Company.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.


ROVER (1897 - 1914) paddle tug
O.N. 106081. 152g. 15n. 108.0 x 18.8 x 9.9 feet.
L.1-cyl. (36-1/4” x 54”) engine made by Hepple & Company, S.Shields. 99 RHP
3.2.1897: Launched by J.T.Eltringham & Company, S.Shields, (Yard No. 189), for John and Robert H. Steel and David Bennie.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.
11.12.1914: Wrecked near Arklow Head and subsequently demolished.


CHIEFTAIN (1) (1899 - 1929) paddle tug
O.N. 111216. 148g. 0n. 108.4 x 18.8 x 9.9 feet.
L.1-cyl. (36-1/4” x 54”) engine made by Hepple & Company, S.Shields. 99 RHP / 500 IHP.
25.5.1899: Launched by J. T. Eltringham & Company, S.Shields, (Yard No.212), for Steel & Bennie incorporating the Glasgow & Greenock Shipping Company.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.
1929: Demolished.

User avatar
Bill Harvey
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Steel & Bennie Part 2

Post by Bill Harvey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:08 pm

This is a working document and therefore is not 100% complete

PLOVER (1902 - 1923) Lighter.
O.N. 115740. 155g. 60n. 105.0 x 20.5 x 7.2 feet.
C.2-cyl. (11” & 22” x 16”) engine made by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow. 22 RHP.
2.12.1902: Launched by J. Fullerton & Company, Paisley, (Yard No. 169), for Steel & Bennie incorporating the Glasgow & Greenock Shipping Company.
1903: Owners restyled as Steel and Bennie Ltd.
1923: Trustees of the Clyde Navigation
Still in 1945


WARRIOR (1903 - 1935)
O.N. 115754. 146g. 23n. 116.0 x 19.6 x 10.2 feet.
L.1-cyl. (38-1/2” x 54”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 99 RHP /350 IHP
11.3.1903: Launched by J. P. Rennoldson & Son, S.Shields, (Yard No.223), for Robert Heron Steel & David Bennie (Steel & Bennie Ltd.)
1935: Demolished.


CRUISER ( ) (1904 - 1951)
O.N. 119123. 167g. 8n. 104.8 x 21.1 x 10.7 feet.
C.2-cyl. (18” & 36” x 27”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 99nhp.
6.4.1904: Launched by A. Stephen & Sons Ltd., Glasgow, (Yard No. 404) for Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
4.1904: Completed.
1951: Sold to J. H. Lamey Ltd., (W. H. Lamey, manager), Liverpool and subsequently renamed B. C. LAMEY.
1956: Removed from management.
12.1961: Sold to Henry Bath & Sons Ltd., Bromborough for demolition.
1.1962: Beached and work commenced.


STARLING (1905 - 1915) Coaster.
O.N. 121247. 212g. 62n. 110.0 x 22.1 x 8.3 feet.
C.2-cyl. (14-1/2” & 30” x 21”) engine made by C.Houston & Company, Glasgow. 40 RHP. 275 IHP. 9 ½ kts.
26.6.1905: Launched by G. Brown & Company, Greenock, (Yard No. 28), for Steel & Bennie Ltd.
7.1905: Completed
1915: Sold to William E. Fisher, Maryport.
1916: Ramsey Steamship Company, Ramsey, and renamed BEN REIN.
7.2.1918: Whilst on a voyage from Liverpool to Belfast, shelled and sunk by the German submarine UB.57 when 35 miles WNW of the Mersey Bar.


VICTOR (1906 - 1924)
O.N. 121336. 175g. 8n. 106.0 x 22.1 x 10.4 feet.
C.2-cyl. (20” & 40” x 27”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 650 IHP.
1906: Completed by A. Stephen & Sons Ltd., Glasgow, (Yard No. 418), for Steel & Bennie Ltd.
1926: Sold to Peter McLeod, Alloa.
4.1928: Sold to The Ridley Steam Tug Company Ltd., Newcastle, and renamed MARTY.
3.1955: Owners restyled as Ridley Tugs Ltd.
5.1959: Sold via the British Iron & Steel Corporation for demolition and allocated to J. J. King & Company Ltd., Gateshead.


LINTIE (1909 - 1925) coaster.
O.N. 128251. 172g. 90n. 110.1 x 20.6 x 8.8 feet.
C.2-cyl. (11” & 24” x 16”) engine made by Gauldie, Gillespie & Company, Glasgow. 80rhp.
4.2.1909: Launched by George Brown & Company Greenock, (Yard No 52) for Steel & Bennie Ltd, Glasgow
3.1925: Sold together with the remaining lighterage business to Clyde Cargo Steamers.
By 1930 owned at Belfast by J Shiels jnr.
1935: Sold to J. Murdock, Dundee.
1937: Sold to Tay Sand Company Ltd, (J. Neilson, manager), Dundee.
Still in 1945

CAMPAIGNER ( ) (1911 - 1957)
O.N. 129580. 163g. 0n. 107.1 x 23.0 x 10.2 feet.
C.2-cyl. (21” & 42” x 27”) engine made by the shipbuilder. 76 RHP.
6.1911: Completed by A. Stephen & Sons Ltd., Glasgow, (Yard No. 446), for Steel & Bennie Ltd.
1957: Renamed BATTLEAXE.
10.1957: Sold for £8,550 to Ridley Tugs Ltd., Newcastle.
12.1958: Sold for £8,000 to Lawson-Batey Tugs Ltd, and renamed HILLSIDER.
10.1960: Sold for £1,375 to BISCO for demolition and allocated to Hughes, Bolckow Ltd.


WRESTLER (1) (1914 - 1916)
O.N. 136308. 192g. 0n. 106.3 x 23.1 x 11.7 feet.
C.2-cyl. (21” & 42” x 27”) engine made by Aitchison, Blair Ltd., Glasgow. 99nhp. 800ihp.
25.6.1914: Launched as FUTIJY by Scotts & Sons, Bowling (Yard No. 255) for Administration de la Navigation a Vapeur Ottoman, Constantinople and seized by the Admiralty as a war prize.
7.1914: Completed as WRESTLER for Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
8.1914: Sold to Administration de la Navigation a Vapeur Ottoman, Constantinople.
12.1914: Purchased by the Admiralty and renamed HOTSPUR.
5.1920: Purchased by William Watkins Ltd and renamed MURIA.
19.9.1939 until 8.11.1940: Requisitioned by the Admiralty.
8.11.1940: Exploded a mine off the North Foreland at 51°26.30N 1°27E and sank.
Jul-Dec 1943: Wreck dispersed, cleared to 31ft


WRESTLER (2) (1915 - 1953)
O.N. 137794. 192g. 0n. 106.6 x 23.1 x 11.7 feet.
C.2-cyl. (20” & 42" x 27") engine made by Aitchison, Blair Ltd., Glasgow.
2.3.1915: Launched as WRESTLER by Scott & Sons, Bowling (Yard No. 258) for Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
4.1915: Completed.
14.1.1916 until 17.10.1919: Hired by the Admiralty.
1954: Purchased by J. H. Lamey Ltd., (William H. Lamey, manager) and renamed IRENE LAMEY.
1964: Sold to T. W. Ward Ltd., Sheffield for demolition at their Preston facility.

BASUTO (1919 - 1920)
O.N. 113674. 64g. 43n. 66.0 x 16.1 x 6.6 feet.
C.2-cyl. (8” & 12” x 12”) engine made by Walker, Henderson & Company, Glasgow. 10 NHP. 35 IHP. 8 Kts.
Post 1928: Unspecified type of steam engine made by ?????
1902: Completed by Burrell, Hamiltonhill Yard, Port Dundas for Wm. Jacks & Company.
1908: Sold by executors of Wm. Jacks to K. Law, R. Hetherington & H. A. Wilson, (R. Hetherington, manager), Glasgow.
1917: Purchased by John Kelly Ltd., (Samuel Kelly, manager).
2.8.1917 until 23.4.1919: Government steam lighter service on the Firth of Forth.
4.1919: Sold to Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
1920: Sold to W .H. Bowater Ltd., (C. H. Atkinson, manager), Liverpool.
1921: Sold to Wm. Cooper & Sons Ltd., Widnes.
1928: Converted into a dumb barge, subsequently sold to Manchester Drydocks Company Ltd., and re-engined.
1972: Owners restyled as Manchester Marine Ltd.
1979: Sold to Empirewise Ltd., Liverpool. Currently on display at Ellesmere Port boat museum

KAFFIR (1919 - 1920)
O.N. 111243. 45g. 25n. 65.5 x 16.2 x 5.0 feet.
C.2-cyl. (8” & 12” x 12”) engine made by Shanks, Henderson & Company, Glasgow. 10 NHP. 35 IHP. 8 Kts.
1900: Completed by Wm. Jacks & Company, Port Dundas for Wm. Jacks & Andrew Bonar Law, Glasgow.
1902: Purchased outright by Wm. Jacks.
1908: Sold by executors of Wm. Jacks to K. Law, R. Hetherington & H. A. Wilson, (R. Hetherington, manager), Glasgow.
1917: Purchased by John Kelly Ltd., (Samuel Kelly, manager).
3.11.1917 until Mid 1919: Government steam lighter service on the Lough Swilly.
1919: Sold to Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
1920: Sold to W. H. Bowater Ltd., (C. H. Atkinson, manager), Birmingham.
1921: Sold to Wm. Cooper & Sons Ltd., Widnes.
1939: Sold for demolition.


BRIGADIER ( ) (1919 - 1936) Iron paddle tug.
O.N. 90314. 154g. 43n. 116.0 x 19.6 x 10.4 feet.
Post 1890: 169g. 56n.
Post 1914: 169g. 69n.
Post 1919: 173g. 20n.
L.1-cyl. (38” x 56”) engine made by J. P. Rennoldson and Sons, South Shields. 75 NHP.
12.1884: Completed as FRANK BUCKLAND by J.T.Eltringham, South Shields (yard No.122) for Joseph Liddell & Others, Sunderland.
4.1891: Sold to Joseph A. Platt, Stafford and renamed TRANSIT.
7.1907: Transferred to Honourable Mrs Jessie Platt, (widow), Stafford.
1918: Sold to the Sunderland Towage Company Ltd., Sunderland.
5.1918: Transferred to France, Fenwick Tyne and Wear Company Ltd., Sunderland
8.1918: Hired by the Admiralty and renamed TRANSFER.
5.1919: Returned to owners.
5.1919: Sold to Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow, and renamed BRIGADIER.
11.1936: Sold to Thos W. Ward Ltd., Sheffield, for demolition at Preston.


VANGUARD ( ) (1920 - 1946)
O.N. 144205. 172g. 4n. 101.2 x 23.1 x 9.9 feet.
T.3-cyl. (13¼" 21¼" & 34" x 21") engine made by the shipbuilder. 90 RHP.
28.5.1920: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Company Ltd., Paisley, (Yard No. 383), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
6.1920: Completed.
1946: Sold to Leith Salvage & Towage Company Ltd., Leith, and renamed MICKRY.
1953: Sold to Leith Dock Commissioners.
1967: Sold to J. A. White & Company Ltd., St. David’s for demolition.


THUNDERER ( ) (1920 - 1953)
O.N. 144212. 172g. 4n. 101.2 x 23.1 x 9.9 feet.
T.3-cyl. (13¼" 21¼” & 34" x 21") later (12¾", 20¾” & 34" x 21") engine made by the shipbuilder.
Post 1961: 6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (14½” x 19”) engine made by Crossley Bros Ltd., Manchester
29.5.1920: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Company Ltd., Paisley (Yard No. 384) for Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
6.1920: Completed.
26.8.1939 until 22.3.1940: Requisitioned by the Admiralty.
1953: Purchased by J. H. Lamey Ltd., (William H. Lamey, manager) and subsequently renamed ANITA LAMEY.
1957: Fitted with a Kort Nozzle.
1961: Re-engined.
1967: Sold to W. H. Muller Sleepdienst, Netherlands and renamed SCHOTLAND.
1978: renamed BEVELAND.
1983: Demolished at Gent by Van Heyghen Freres.


STRONGBOW ( ) (1927 - 1960)
O.N. 148930. 197g. 106.9 x 24.0 x 11.9 feet.
C.2-cyl. (21"& 42"x 27") engine made by Aitchison, Blair & Company Ltd., Glasgow. 99 RHP
3.5.1927: Launched by Scott & Sons, Bowling, (Yard No.307), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
6.1927: Completed.
11.1947: Fitted with a new boiler.
1960: Sold to W. J. Guy & Sons, (I. C. Guy, manager), Cardiff, and renamed WELSH ROSE.
30.6.1963: Owners purchased by R. & J. H. Rea Ltd., London, and vessel later renamed LOWGARTH.
10.6.1964: Delivered to Thos. W. Ward Ltd., Sheffield, for demolition at Briton Ferry.


CHIEFTAIN ( ) (1930 - 1967)
O.N. 161905. 196g. 1n. 106.9 x 24.1 x 11.9 feet.
Post 1958: 233g. 8n.
Post 1967: 209g. 9n.
C.2-cyl. (21” & 42” x 27”) engine made by Aitchison Blair & Company Ltd., Clydebank. 99 RHP
Post 1958: 8-cyl. 4 S. C. S. A. ( x ) engine made by Kloeckner Humboldt Deutz. 660bhp.
Post 1969: 16-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. ( x ) vee type engine made by General Motors, Cleveland. 1,461bhp. 11.5kts.
27.3.1930: Launched by Scott & Sons, Bowling, (Yard No. 317), for Steel & Bennie Ltd.
4.1930: Completed.
1967: Sold to Falmouth Towing Company Ltd., and renamed ST. EVAL.
1987: Sold to Blue Arrow Challenge plc (De Savary group) and converted into a tender for Peter De Savary’s America Cup yacht.
1988-89: converted to yacht by Pendennis Shipyard, Falmouth
(listed in Lloyds Yacht register as owned by Blue Arrow PLC, Falmouth ??)
1992: Sold to Blueridge Investments Ltd, Georgetown, Cayman Islands (Dennis Washington, manager). Registered as a yacht with the Royal Cornwall Yacht Club, but moored at Lonsdale, Vancouver, BC.(CAN)
2007: still in existence


WARRIOR ( ) (1935 - )
O.N. 164064. 249g. 0n. 107.1 x 26.1 x 12.4 feet
Post 1958: 259g. 37n.
Post 1959: 251g


T.3-cyl. (16”, 27” & 45” x 30”) engine made by Aitchison Blair Ltd., Clydebank. 112 NHP
Post1958 7-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (12½"x 18½"), oil engine made by H. Widdop & Company Ltd., Keighley. 930bhp. 12kn
17.9.1935: Launched by Scott & Sons, Bowling, (Yard No. 332), for Steel & Bennie Ltd. 10.1935: Completed.
WW2: Design used by the Government as a template for the Warrior class of “EMPIRE” tugs.
1958: Rebuilt and re-engined.
1968: Sold to Falmouth Towing Company Ltd.
1969: Renamed ST. AGNES.
1985: Stripped and sold for demolition
1.8.1985: Arrived at Sittingbourne for demolition by Liguria Maritime Ltd.


VANGUARD ( ) (1946 - 1961)
O.N. 168686. 252g. 107.1 x 26.2 x 12.4 feet
T.3-cyl. (16½”, 27” & 46” x 30”) engine made by Plenty & Son Ltd., Newbury.
10.6.1941: Launched as EMPIRE PINE by Scott & Sons, Bowling, (Yard No.360), for the Ministry of War Transport, London.
4.9.1941: Completed and handed over to Steel & Bennie Ltd., managers.
1946: Purchased by Steel & Bennie Ltd., and renamed VANGUARD.
1961: Renamed BATTLEAXE, to release the name.
1961: Sold to Newport Screw Towing Ltd., Newport, and renamed DUNFALCON.
12.1968: Sold to John Cashmore Ltd., Newport, for demolition.


BRIGADIER ( ) (1946 - 1960)
O.N. 169032. 260g. 107.8 x 26.2 x 12.5 feet
T.3-cyl. (16½”, 27” & 46” x 30”) engine made by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Newcastle.
2.9.1942: Launched as EMPIRE FRANK by J.Crown & Sons Ltd., Sunderland, (Yard No.206), for the Ministry of War Transport, London.
6.11.1942: Completed and handed over to C.Rowbotham & Sons, London, as managers.
1944: Steel & Bennie Ltd., appointed as managers.
5.1946: Purchased for £21,250 and renamed BRIGADIER.
21.2.1960: Grounded on Horse Island, off Ardrossan.
21.4.1960: Declared as a constructive total loss.


FORAGER ( ) (1947 - 1962)
O.N. 180395. 244g. 106.7 x 26.7 x 11.6 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16”, 26” & 43” x 30”) engine made by George Fletcher & Company Ltd., Derby. 175 NHP.
2.12.1944: Launched as EMPIRE BECKY by Henry Scarr & Ltd., Hessle, (Yard No.S 463), for the Ministry of War Transport, London.
30.1.1945: Completed.
1.2.1945: Handed over to Steel & Bennie Ltd., as managers.
1947: Sold for £25,000 to Steel & Bennie Ltd, and renamed FORAGER.
23.5.1962: Capsized and sank whilst assisting and colliding with the British vessel HORORATA (12,090g./42) in the R. Clyde at the entrance to King George V Dock. Two of her crew were lost.
5.6.1962: Raised and offered for sale “as lies”.
1962: Sold to Societa Rimorchiatori Napoletani, Italy, repaired and renamed MASTINO.
1984: Sold to Palermo Salvatore e Cia. S.N.C., Naples, for demolition.
18.6.1984: Work commenced.


BATTLEAXE ( ) (1949 - 1957)
O.N. 160491. 221g. 105.3 x 27.1 x 11.4 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16" 25"& 40"x 27") engine made by the shipbuilder. 93 RHP.
6.4.1928: Launched as FOREMOST 43 by A.Hall & Company, Aberdeen, (Yard No. 610), for James Dredging, Towing & Transport Company Ltd., London.
5.1928: Completed.
1929: Sold to F. M. Ross, Canada.
1930: Sold to St. John Tug Boat Company Ltd., Canada.
10.1941 until 1943: In Admiralty service (Maritime Towage & Salvage Ltd., Canada, managers)
1943: Sold to the Ministry of War Transport, (Sierra Leone Coaling Company Ltd., managers), London.
4.1946: Owners restyled as the Ministry of Transport.
1949: Sold to Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow, and renamed BATTLEAXE.
1957: Sold to Bristol Channel Towing & Salvage Company Ltd., (G.A. Guy, manager), Cardiff, and renamed LOYAL CELT.
1962: Owners restyled as Bristol Channel Tugs Ltd., (same managers).
30.6.1963: Owners purchased by R. & J. H. Rea Ltd., London.
5.1.1964: Delivered, under tow of the Dutch tug TASMAN ZEE, to Haulbowline Industries Ltd., Passage West, Ireland, for demolition


CRUISER ( ) (1953 – 1969)
O.N. 184984. 304g. 112.0 x 31.2 x 13.6 feet
Post 1963: 300g. 43n.
T. 3-cyl. engine made by the shipbuilder. 1,200nhp
Post 1963: 8-cyl. 2 S. C. S. A. ( x ) CRL8 type engine made by Crossley Bros Ltd., Manchester. 1,350bhp. 12 kts.
15.1.1953: Launched by A. Hall & Company Ltd., Aberdeen (Yard No. 744) for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
3.1953: Completed.
1963: Rebuilt and re-engined.
1969: Sold to Ardrossan Harbour Company Ltd., Ardrossan, and renamed ARDNEIL.
1978: Sold to Fitag Stifnung, Liechenstein, (A. & N. Vogel, London managers).
1980: Sold to A. Vogel, London.
1980: Sold to Carmet Tug Company Ltd., Bromborough.
1997: Sold to Aquatec Diving (International) Ltd., Helston, Cornwall. ARDNIEL
1999: Sold to Aquatec Diving Services Ltd, Tema, Ghana
2007: still in service.


THUNDERER ( ) (1953 - 1958)
O.N. 169126. 257g. 105.9 x 30.1 x 12.5 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16½”, 27” & 46” x 30”) engine made by North Eastern Marine Engineering Company (1938) Ltd., Sunderland.
5.7.1943: Launched as EMPIRE DOLLY, by J. Crown & Sons Ltd., Sunderland, (Yard No.210), for the Ministry of War Transport, London.
28.9.1943: Completed, (Townsend Bros. (Ferries) Ltd., managers).
6.1946: Owners restyled as Ministry of Transport.
7.1946: Recorded as being employed on dockyard duties at Alexandria.
10.1948: Transferred to Army service at Suez.
1953: Sold to Steel & Bennie Ltd., and renamed THUNDERER.
1958: Sold to St. John Tug Boat Company Ltd., Canada, and renamed OCEAN OSPREY (Glasgow registry retained).
1974: Registered at Hamilton, Bermuda.


BATTLEAXE ( ) (1957) see campaigner 1911

WRESTLER ( ) (1957 - 1979)
O.N. 300180. 248g. 114'1" x 29'10" x 11'11"oa.
8-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (12½"x 18½") oil engine made by H. Widdop & Company Ltd., Keighley, double reduction geared to a single fixed pitch propeller. 1,065 BHP. 14 tons bollard pull.
2.5.1957: Launched by James Lamont & Company Ltd., Port Glasgow, (Yard No.389), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
31.7.1957: Completed.
1969: Company purchased by R.& J.H.Rea Ltd., London
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers).
1979: Sold to Nick Kalimeris, Greece, and renamed CRETA SALVOR.
1989: Sold to Evripos Tugs Company, Greece, and renamed TAKIS M II.


CAMPAIGNER ( ) (1957 - 1976)
O.N. 300184. 248g. 114'1" x 29'10" x 11'11"oa.
8-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (12½"x 18½") oil engine made by H. Widdop and Company Ltd., Keighley, double reduction geared to a single fixed pitch propeller. 1,065 BHP. 14 tons bollard pull.
30.7.1957: Launched by James Lamont & Company Ltd., Port Glasgow, (Yard No.390), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
7.10.1957: Completed.
1969: Company purchased by R. & J. H. Rea Ltd., London
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers).
1976: Sold to Frank Pearce (Tugs) Ltd., Poole, and renamed PULLWELL VICTOR.
1981: Sold to Hamzah Aes Abushal, S. Arabia, and renamed MARAMBU.
1981: Sold to Atrefs Shipping Company, Greece.
1984: Sold to Kappa Maritime Company, Greece, and renamed KAPPA.


THUNDERER ( ) (1958 - 1973)
O.N. 300206. 208g. 116'1" x 28'3" x 12'0"oa.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (320 x 450mm), oil engine made by Kloeckner-Humboldt-Deutz, Koeln, single reduction geared to a single fixed pitch propeller operating within a kort nozzle. 880 BHP 11½ tons bollard pull.
2.5.1958: Launched by P.K.Harris (Shipbuilders) Ltd., Appledore, (Yard No. 110), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
1.7.1958: Completed.
1969: Company purchased by R.& J.H.Rea Ltd., London
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers).
1973: Renamed PLYMGARTH.
1981: Sold to Andreas and George Kyrtatas, (Ierax Maritime S.A., managers), Greece, and renamed IERAX.
19 : Sold to Ierax Maritime S.A.


BRIGADIER ( ) (1960 - 1976)
O.N. 301432. 223g. 110'2" x 28'3" x 11'6"oa.
8-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (10½" x 13½") oil engine made by Crossley Brothers Ltd., Manchester, single reduction geared to a single fixed pitch propeller. 1,128 BHP. 13½ tons bollard pull.
5.12.1960: Launched by G.Brown & Company (Marine) Ltd., Greenock, (Yard No. 273), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
16.2.1961: Completed.
1969: Company purchased by R.& J.H.Rea Ltd., London
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers).
1976: Renamed FORAGER, to release the name for use on a new vessel.
1977: Sold to Whitliff Corp., (A.N.Vogel Ltd., London managers), Glasgow, heavily rebuilt, and renamed FORTROSE.
1979: Sold to Societa Armamento Gestione Navigacione S.a.r.L., Sargenavi, Italy.
19 : Owners restyled as Societa Armamento Gestione Navi Agenzia Marittima S.r.l. (S.AR.GE.NAV).


STRONGBOW ( ) (1961 - 1976)
O.N. 301453. 225g. 110'1" x 28'2" x 11'9"oa.
8-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (10½"x 13½") oil engine made by Crossley Brothers Ltd., Manchester, single reduction geared to a single fixed pitch propeller. 1,100 BHP. 13½ tons bollard pull.
20.3.1961: Launched by Scott & Sons (Bowling) Ltd., Bowling, (Yard No. 426), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
6.1961: Completed.
1969: Company purchased by R.& J.H.Rea Ltd., London
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers).
1976: Renamed BATTLEAXE, to release the name for use on a new vessel.
1977: Sold to Whitliff Corp., (A .N. Vogel Ltd., London managers), Glasgow, and renamed LOSSIEMOUTH.
1977: Sold to Stavros G.Ioannis, Greece, and renamed STAVROS.
1985: Sold to Proodos Naftiki Eteria, (Megalohari Hellenic Tugboats, managers), Greece, and renamed VELOS.


VANGUARD ( ) (1961 - 1963)
O.N. 301433. 311g. 55n. 119’8” x 25’8” x 15’7”
8-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (14-1/2” x 19”) oil engine made by Crossley Bros. Ltd., Manchester.
1951: Completed as DU GEUSCLIN, by Scheepswerft de Biesbosch, Dordrecht, (Yard No. ), for Union de Remorquage de l’Ocean, France.
1961: Purchased by Steel & Bennie Ltd., and renamed VANGUARD.
1963: Renamed FORAGER to release the name for a new vessel.
1963: Sold to Tsavliris (Salvage & Towage) Ltd., Greece





FORAGER ( ) (1963) see vessel No. above.

VANGUARD ( ) (1964 - 1981)
O.N. 304179. 224g. 110'2" x 28'3" x 11'9"oa.
8-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (10½" x 13½") oil engine made by Crossley Brothers Ltd., Manchester, single reduction geared to a single fixed pitch propeller. 1,122 BHP. 13½ tons bollard pull.
Tug with a certificate to carry 144 passengers.
26.2.1964: Launched by James Lamont & Company Ltd., Port Glasgow, (Yard No. 401), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
4.1964: Completed.
1969: Company purchased by R.& J.H.Rea Ltd., London
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers).
1981: Sold to Rocombe Shipping Ltd., Jersey, retaining Glasgow registry.
1995: Lloyd’s Register doubt continued existence due to lack of recent information.


CHIEFTAIN ( ) (1968 - 1997)
O.N. 335020. 205g. 112'4" x 28'11" x 12'0"oa.
8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (320 x 450mm) Deutz RBV8M545 type oil engine made by Kloeckner-Humboldt-Deutz A. G., Koeln, reverse reduction geared to a single fixed pitch propeller operating within a Kort steerable nozzle. 1,650 BHP. 27 tons bollard pull. 12.5kts.
1.12.1967: Keel laid by Scott and Sons (Bowling) Ltd., Bowling (Yard No. 437), for Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
14.3.1968: Launched.
31.5.1968: Completed.
7.6.1968: Delivered.
1969: Company purchased by R. & J. H. Rea Ltd., London.
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers). 1985: Transferred to Cory Towage Ltd., London.
11.1996: Sold to Rodney Jenkins Marine, Poole, and subsequently renamed CHIEF R.
3.1998: Sold to Warm Seas Development and Trading L. L. C., Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, and renamed WARM SEAS IV.


WARRIOR ( ) (1970 - 1973)
O.N. 355971. 272g. 124'10" x 32'2" x 12'1"oa.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (370 x 400mm), oil engine made by Kloeckner-Humboldt-Deutz, Koeln, reverse reduction geared to a single fixed pitch propeller operating within a Kort steerable nozzle. 2,400 BHP. 38 tons bollard pull.
29.9.1969: Launched by James Lamont & Company Ltd., Port Glasgow, (Yard No. 411), for Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow.
1.1970: Completed.
1969: Company purchased by R.& J.H.Rea Ltd., London
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers).
1973: Following a request by Charente Steamship Company Ltd., (T. & J. Harrison Ltd., managers), Liverpool, was renamed THUNDERER. This was to enable the name WARRIOR to be used on one of a series of three new bulk carriers, the others being WAYFARER and WANDERER.
1985: Transferred to Cory Towage Ltd., London.
1986: Transferred to Irish Tugs Ltd., (Cory Towage Ltd., managers).
1990: Transferred to Westport, Eire registry, O.N. 402784.
1993: Transferred to Belfast and to British registry.


CRUISER ( ) (1973 - 1980)
O.N. 400158. 207g. 106'2" x 27'11" x 12'0¼" oa.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (340 x 570mm), oil engine made by British Polar Engines Ltd., Glasgow, double reduction geared to a controllable pitch propeller1,364 BHP. 22 tons bollard pull.
Fire fighting tug.
22.1.1959: Launched as CLONMEL by T.Mitchison Ltd., Gateshead, (Yard No.88), for J. Cooper (Belfast) Ltd., Belfast, but registered at Cork, Eire.
3.4.1959: Completed.
1969: Company purchased by R.& J.H.Rea Ltd., London
1970: Restyled as Cory Ship Towage (N.I.) Ltd., (Cory Ship Towage Ltd., managers).
1973: Transferred to Cory Ship Towage (Clyde)Ltd., (same managers), transferred to British registry, O.N. 357497, and renamed CRUISER.
1980: Sold in need of repairs to H. Pounds, Portsmouth, thence to Falmouth Towage Company Ltd., (J. B. McGregor, manager), Falmouth, and repaired.
1981: Renamed ST. GLUVIAS.


THUNDERER (2) (1973 - 1985) see ship No. above.

PLYMGARTH (1973 - 1981) see ship No. above.

FORAGER (1) (1976 - 1977) see ship No. above.

BATTLEAXE ( ) (1976 - 1977) see ship No. above.


BRIGADIER ( ) (1976 - 1996)
O.N. 376964. 388g. 37.95 x 10.85 x 4.161 metres oa. Fire-fighting tug.
16-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (254 x 305mm) Ruston 16RKCM vee type oil engine made by Ruston, Paxman Diesels Ltd., Newton-le-Willows, single reduction geared to a controllable pitch propeller operating within a Kort steerable nozzle. 3,520 BHP. 50 tons bollard pull. 13kts.
1974: Ordered from Ailsa Shipbuilders Ltd., Troon (Yard No. 548) by Cory Ship Towage Ltd. 7.1975: Keel laid.
14.4.1976: Launched for Rea Towing Company Ltd., Liverpool.
25.11.1976: Completed.
1981: Chartered to the associated Shetland Towage Ltd., at Sullum Voe.
1987: Transferred to the Commonwealth Steam Tug Company Ltd., (Cory Towage (Panama) Ltd., managers), Panama.
6.1996: Sold to Olympic Flame Marine Towage and Salvage Inc., Greece, and renamed PANAGIOTAKIS STAR.
1.7.1996: Panama registry closed.
1997: Renamed PANTANASSA.


STRONGBOW ( ) (1977 - 1982)
O.N. 376974. 380g. 37.95 x 10.85 x 4.306 metres oa.
16-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (254 x 305mm) Ruston 16RKCM vee type oil engine made by Ruston, Paxman Diesels Ltd., Newton-le-Willows, single reduction geared to a controllable pitch propeller operating within a Kort steerable nozzle. 3,520 BHP. 49 tons bollard pull. 13kts.
Fire-fighting tug. Fire pumps fitted but fixed monitors not carried.
1975: Ordered from Ailsa Shipbuilders Ltd., Troon, (Yard No.549) by Cory Ship Towage Ltd.
11.1975: Keel laid.
14.7.1976: Launched for Cory Ship Towage (Clyde) Ltd.
8.2.1977: Completed.
1982: Sold to the Kenya Ports Authority, Kenya, uprated into a full fire-fighting tug with monitors mounted on wheelhouse roof by her builders, and renamed KIBOKO.
21.6.1984: Severely damaged in a collision with ALEXA II at Mombasa, subsequently repaired and returned to service.



FORAGER ( ) (1978 - 1981)
O.N. 305285. 306g. 127'9" x 29'11" x 12'5"oa.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (15"x 18"), oil engine made by Mirrlees National Ltd., Stockport, single reduction reverse geared to a single fixed pitch propeller operating within a Kort steerable nozzle. 1,300 BHP 22 tons bollard pull.
Fire fighting tug.
12.5.1964: Launched as RAMSGARTH by Richards (Shipbuilders) Ltd., Lowestoft, (Yard No. 477), for R.& J.H.Rea Ltd., London.
9.1964: Completed.
1971: Owner restyled as Cory Ship Towage Ltd.
1978: Transferred to R.Clyde and renamed FORAGER.
1981: Renamed SEANAID and transferred to Irish Tugs Ltd., Eire registry O.N. 402042.
1985: Transferred to Cory Towage Ltd., (retaining Irish registry).
1986: Transferred to Irish Tugs Ltd., (Cory Towage Ltd., managers).


CAMPAIGNER ( ) (1978 - 1988)
O.N. 305287. 306g. 127'9" x 29'11" x 12'5"oa.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (15"x 18"), oil engine made by Mirrlees National Ltd., Stockport, single reduction reverse geared to a single fixed pitch propeller operating within a Kort steerable nozzle. 1,300 BHP 22 tons bollard pull.
Fire fighting tug.
22.10.1964: Launched as RATHGARTH by Richards (Shipbuilders) Ltd., Lowestoft, (Yard No. 478), for R. & J. H. Rea Ltd., London.
1.1965: Completed.
1971: Owner restyled as Cory Ship Towage Ltd.
1978: Renamed CAMPAIGNER.
1985: Owner restyled as Cory Towage Ltd.
1988: Transferred to Irish registry, and renamed KENRY. (O.N. 402474).
3.1991: Sold to S. Evans, Garston, for demolition.
1991: Sold to Carmet Tug Company Ltd., Bromborough and renamed VANGUARD.
200x: Casualty northern Scottish waters
2010: Towed to Hull.
2010: Demolished

WRESTLER ( ) (1979 - 1983)
O.N. 305283. 306g. 127'9" x 29'11" x 12'5"oa.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (15"x 18"), oil engine made by Mirrlees National Ltd., Stockport, single reduction reverse geared to a single fixed pitch propeller operating within a Kort steerable nozzle. 1,300 BHP 22 tons bollard pull.
Fire fighting tug.
14.2.1964: Launched as REAGARTH by Richards (Shipbuilders) Ltd., Lowestoft, (Yard No. 476), for R. & J. H. Rea Ltd., London.
5.1964: Completed.
1971: Owner restyled as Cory Ship Towage Ltd.
1979: Transferred to R. Clyde and renamed WRESTLER.
1983: Sold to Carmet Tugs Company Ltd., Bromborough, in need of repairs and towed to Port Penryn by DUNHERON.
1983: Sold to Sovereign Star Ltd., Liverpool.
1985: Sold to Achilles Tugs S.A., then to Hellenic Tugs S.A., both Greece, and renamed PANORMITIS.
1988: Owners restyled Achilles Hellenic Tug Boats Maritime Company (Megalohari Hellenic Tug Boats, managers).


VANGUARD ( ) (1987)
O.N. 356150. 276g. 29.98 x 10.16 x 4.261 metres oa.
Two, 12-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (230 x 254mm), vee type oil engines made by General Motors Corp, Electro-Motive Division, Le Grange, reverse reduction geared to twin fixed pitch propellers. 2,100 BHP 46 tons bollard pull.
Fire fighting tug.
1974: Ordered as MURGEN from N.V.Scheepswerf Van Rupelmonde, Rupelmonde, (Yard No. 427), by Nassau Towing Ltd.
12.1974: Keel laid.
7.10.1975: Launched.
19.12.1975: Completed for Mercator Shipping Company Ltd., (Nassau Towing Ltd., managers), Bahamas.
1987: Sold to Burmah Oil Tankers Ltd., Bermuda, and renamed WESTMAR.
1987: Purchased through Cory Towage Ltd., by Odyssey Trading Company Ltd., (Cory Towage Ltd., managers), Bermuda, and renamed VANGUARD.
12.1990: Transferred to Opermar Internacional S.A., Mexico, and renamed VANGUARDIA.
1992: Transferred to Cory Towage Ltd., and Panama registry, (O.N. 22233-PEXT).
1993: Sold to Coastal Aruba Refining Company N.V., (Coastal Tug & Barge Inc., managers), and renamed COASTAL SAN NICOLAS.


STRONGBOW ( ) (1990 - 1992)
O.N. 709289. 298g. 38.00 x 10.27 x 3.152 metres oa.
Two 6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (280 x 320mm) oil engines made by Niigata Engineering Company Ltd., Ota., single reduction geared to twin stern mounted Azimuthing directional propellers. 3,200 BHP 45 tons bollard pull.
Fire fighting, pollution control tug.
5.3.1985: Launched as YOKOSUKA MARU NO.1 by Hanasaki Zosensho, Yokosuka, (Yard No.197), for their own account.
15.3.1985: Completed as KESTREL for J. P. Knight (Rochester) Ltd., Rochester.
1986: Chartered to Cory Towage Ltd.
1990: Purchased by Cory Towage Ltd., and renamed STRONGBOW.
1992: Renamed DALEGARTH.


CELTIC WARRIOR / WARRIOR (2) / WARRIOR III (1996 - )
0.N. .227g. 68n. 29.65 x 8.62 x 2.300. metres.
Two, 6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (250 x 320mm) Niigata 6L25BX type oil engines made by Niigata Engine Company Ltd., Niigata, powering twin Z type directional propellers. 2,600 bhp. 13.5 kts.
37 tons bollard pull.
Tractor tug.
7.12.1974: Keel laid as HAYAKUNI MARU by Kanagawa Zosen, Kobe, (Yard No.153), for Nissho Kisen K.K., Japan.
14.4.1975: Launched.
10.6.1975: Completed.
1991: Sold to REBONAVE - Reboques e Assistencia Naval Ltda., Portugal and renamed MONTENOVO.
1993: Sold to Celtic Tugs Ltd., Cork, Eire, and renamed CELTIC WARRIOR.
16.2.1996: Purchased by Cory Towage Ltd., London.
3.1996: Partially rebuilt at Cork.
4.1996: Renamed WARRIOR, registered at Westport, County Mayo, Republic of Ireland.
5.1998: Renamed WARRIOR III.


BATTLEAXE ( ) (1998 - ) fire-fighting tug.
O.N. 379503. 392g. 37.98 x 10.55 x 4.388 metres oa.
Two, 12-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (254 x 305mm), Ruston 12RKCM vee type oil engines made by Ruston, Paxman Diesels Ltd., Newton-le-Willows, reduction geared to twin controllable pitch propellers operating within Kort steerable nozzles. Thwartship thrust propeller forward. 3,800 BHP. 54 tons bollard pull. 14kts.
28.6.1977: Keel laid as LYRIE by Hall, Russell and Company Ltd., Aberdeen (Yard No. 978) for Shetland Towage Ltd., Shetland.
5.7.1978: Launched.
6.11.1978: Completed.
7.1996: Sold to Cory Towage Ltd.
8.1996: Renamed ELSIE (Cory Panama Corp., managers) under Panama registry.
14.8.1996: Departed from Tyneside enroute to Puerto Armuelles, Panama, via Plymouth and the Azores.
1997: Removed from management.
9.9.1998: Arrived at Greenock.
13.10.1998: Renamed BATTLEAXE at Liverpool.
1999: Transferred to Lithuanian registry



AFON WEN / FORAGER ( ) (1999 - )
O.N. 725707. 44g. 11n. 16.5 x 5.3 x 2.4 metres. Launch tug / workboat.
Two, 8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (137.2 x 152.4mm) Caterpillar 3408B TA vee type oil engines made by Caterpillar Diesels Inc., Peroria, Ilinois, geared to twin fixed pitch propellers within steerable Kort nozzles. 886 BHP. 13 tons bollard pull. 10 ½ kts
1988: Completed as FRANCES by Damen B. V., Hardinxfeldt (Yard No. 5904) for Holyhead Towing Company Ltd., Holyhead.
Subsequently renamed AFON WEN.
12.3.1999: Purchased by Cory Towage Ltd., London and sailed for Lithuania.
5.1999: Renamed FORAGER. Registered in Klaipeda, Lithuania.
Still in service January 2000.






Managed.



M. . SUN IV (1940 – 194x)
O.N. 139075. 200g. 65n. 105.0 x 25.5 x 12.4 feet.
T.3-cyl. (15", 24” & 40" x 27") engine made by the shipbuilder. 90nhp. 750ihp.
17.3.1915: Launched by Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd., Hull (Yard No. 613) for J. Constant, London, on behalf of William Henry James Alexander, London.
8.1915: Completed.
1929: Transferred to W. P. and G. F. Alexander, London.
1930: Transferred to W. H. J. Alexander Ltd., London.
14.10.1940: Requisitioned by the Admiralty (Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow, appointed as managers).
Prior to 1946: Removed from management.
18.2.1946: Returned to owners.
1966: Sold to Societa Rimorchiatori Napoletani, Italy and renamed S. BENIGNO / SAN BENIGNO.
12.1978: Delivered to Palermo Salvatore & Company for demolition at Naples.


M. . SUN XI (1940 - 1944)
O.N. 148618. 183g. 63n. 100.0 x 25.6 x 12.0 feet.
T.3-cyl. (15½", 24” & 40" x 27") engine made by the shipbuilder. 112nhp. 750ihp.
12.5.1925: Launched by Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd., Hull (Yard No. 651) for William Henry James Alexander, London.
6.1925: Completed.
1929: Transferred to W. P. and G. F. Alexander, London.
1930: Transferred to W. H. J. Alexander Ltd., London.
1940: Present at Dunkirk evacuation.
23.7.1940 until 11.2.1944: Requisitioned by the Admiralty, (Steel and Bennie Ltd., appointed as managers).
1964: Sold to Schelde Sleepvaart Bedrijf, Belgium and renamed SCHELDE X.
3.1966: Sold to Rimorchiatori Sardi SpA, Italy and renamed ANDREA.
1985: Sold to Caprioni SpA for demolition at Porto Torres.


M. . SUN XV (1940 - 1946)
O.N. 148696. 183g. 63n. 100.0 x 25.6 x 12.0 feet.
T.3-cyl. (15½", 24” & 40" x 27") engine made by the shipbuilder. 112nhp. 750ihp.
14.9.1925: Launched by Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd., Hull (Yard No. 661) for William Henry James Alexander, London.
10.1925: Completed.
1929: Transferred to W. P. and G. F. Alexander, London.
1930: Transferred to W. H. J. Alexander Ltd., London.
25.7.1940 until 30.1.1946: Requisitioned by the Admiralty, (Steel and Bennie Ltd., appointed as managers).
27.1.1969: Sold to London Tugs Ltd., (Ship Towage (London) Ltd., managers).
1969: Sold to Scrappingco S.A., Antwerp for demolition.


M. . CONTEST (1940 - xxxx)
O.N. 163325. 213g. 0n. 100.0 x 26.1 x 12.3 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16½", 27” & 45" x 30") engine made by the shipbuilder. 116nhp. 1,100ihp.
23.2.1933: Launched by Alexander Hall & Company Ltd., Aberdeen (Yard No. 642) for the Elliott Steam Tug Company Ltd., (John Page, manager), London.
3.1933: Completed.
23.7.1940 until 12.9.1944: Requisitioned by the Army. (initially managed by Steel & Bennie Ltd)
12.1949: Transferred to the Elliott Steam Tug Company (1949) Ltd., London.
1950: Ship Towage (London) Ltd, appointed as managers.
12.1955: Owners restyled the Elliott Steam Tug Company Ltd., (same managers).
3.1965: Sold to William Watkins Ltd., (same managers).
20.9.1968: Owners restyled as London Tugs Ltd., (same managers).
1972: Sold to T. W. Ward Ltd., Sheffield for demolition at their Grays, Essex facility.
7.4.1972: Arrived at Grays.


M. . OCEAN COCK (1940 – 194x)
O.N. 162695. 182g. 2n. 96.0 x 25.1 x 11.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16", 25” & 42 x 27") engine made by the shipbuilder. 129nhp. 900ihp.
23.2.1932: Launched by Alexander Hall & Company Ltd., Aberdeen (Yard No. 640) for the Gamecock Steam Towing Company Ltd.
3.1932: Completed.
9.6.1938: At 22:30 hrs collided with PORT NICHOLSON (8,402g. /1919) and sank in Gravesend Reach with the loss of 4 lives. Salvaged and towed to Hull for repair.
26.7.1940 until 21.12.1945: Requisitioned for port duties (initially managed by Steel and Bennie Ltd.).
1950: Transferred to Gamecock Tugs Ltd. (John R. Watkins and Alfred D. Page) Ship Towage (London) Ltd, appointed as managers.
1965: Sold to William Watkins Ltd., (same managers).
20.9.1968: Owners restyled as London Tugs Ltd., (same managers).
2.1969: Sold to Scrappingco NV, Willebroek for demolition.



RACIA (1940 - 1945)
O.N. 162492. 165g. 0n. 95.0 x 24.1 x 11.2 feet.
T.3-cyl. (15½", 25” & 40" x 27") engine made by Earle’s Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd., Hull. 93nhp. 950ihp.
9.1930: Completed as DILWARA by Cochrane & Sons Ltd., Selby, (Yard No.1091) for Albert Pattison, (trading as United Steam Tug Company), London.
1935: Renamed DENDIRA.
7.1937: Sold to William Watkins Ltd., London.
1938: Renamed RACIA.
29.11.1940 until 30.11.1945: Requisitioned by the Admiralty, (Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow, appointed as managers).
1950: Ship Towage (London) Ltd, appointed as managers.
1967: Sold to Scrappingco S.A., Antwerp for demolition but was resold to Van Den Bosshe and Cie, at Boom.



M. . EMPIRE PINE (1941 - 1946) see VANGUARD above.



M. . EMPIRE PALM (1942 - 1946)
O.N. 168711. 260g. 107.1 x 26.2 x 12.4 feet
T.3-cyl. (16½", 27” & 46" x 30") engine made by Plenty & Son Ltd., Newbury.
20.1.1942: Launched by Scott & Sons, Bowling, (Yard No.362), for the Ministry of War Transport, London.
28.4.1942: Completed and handed over to Steel & Bennie Ltd., managers.
5.1946: Sold to Ardrossan Harbour Company Ardrossan, and renamed SEAWAY.
1969: Sold to W. Arnott, Young & Company Ltd., Dalmuir for demolition.
1.7.1969: Work commenced.



M. . SUN XII (1942 - 1945)
O.N. 148637. 183g. 63n. 100.0 x 25.6 x 12.0 feet.
T.3-cyl. (15½", 24” & 40" x 27") engine made by the shipbuilder. 112nhp. 750ihp.
9.6.1925: Launched by Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd., Hull (Yard No. 652) for William Henry James Alexander, London.
7.1925: Completed.
1929: Transferred to W. P. and G. F. Alexander, London.
1930: Transferred to W. H. J. Alexander Ltd., London.
25.8.1942 until 7.6.1945: Requisitioned by the Admiralty, (Steel and Bennie Ltd., appointed as managers).
27.1.1969: Sold to London Tugs Ltd., (Ship Towage (London) Ltd., managers).
1969: Sold to Scrappingco S.A., Antwerp for demolition.



M. . EMPIRE PERCY (1943 - 1947)
O.N. 169091. 138g. 94.1 x 21.3 x 9.7 feet
T.3-cyl. (12”, 20” & 32” x 22”) engine made by McKie & Baxter Ltd., Paisley, driving a propeller within a kort-nozzle. 85nhp.
19.6.1943: Launched by R.Dunston Ltd., Thorne, (Yard No. T.384), for the Ministry of War Transport.
30.9.1943: Completed and handed over to Steel & Bennie Ltd., managers.
1947: Sold to Port of London Authority.
1948: Renamed THORNEY.
1968: Sold to Scrappingco S.A., Belgium, for demolition which was completed by April 1968.



M. . EMPIRE FRANK (1944 - 1946) see BRIGADIER above


M. . EMPIRE BEN (1944)
O.N. 167142. 242g. 106.7 x 26.7 x 11.6 feet.
T.3-cyl. (16", 26" & 43" x 30") engine made by George Clark (1938) Ltd. Sunderland. 1,015ihp. 9 kts. 7 tons bollard pull.
22.12.1942: Launched as EMPIRE BEN by J. S. Watson (Gainsborough) Ltd., Gainsborough (Yard No. 1533) for the Ministry of War Transport.
17.3.1943: Completed (Overseas Towage & Salvage Company Ltd., appointed as managers).
23.6.1944: Steel & Bennie Ltd, Glasgow appointed as managers.
12.9.1944: Alexandra Towing Company Ltd., Liverpool appointed as managers.
1.1.1948: Sold to Leith Towage & Salvage Company Ltd., Leith and renamed E. NICHOLSON.
1951: Sold to Melbourne Harbor Trust Commissioners, Australia and renamed VICTOR.
1957: Sold to Geelong Harbor Trust Commissioners.
1968: Sold to R. J. Pherrson, Melbourne.
1970: Sold to J. H. Nichols, Melbourne.
1978: Sold to Australian Oil Burners Propriety Ltd., Melbourne.
1982: Sold to Alan Sullivan, Melbourne and later returned to J. H. Nichols for preservation at Geelong.
7.8.1989: Whilst in tow of tug KALIBAH (115g./1972) from Geelong to Melbourne, beached near Apleton Dock, Melbourne where she was demolished by KFK Marine Salvage Propriety Ltd.



M. . EMPIRE BECKY (1945 - 1947) see FORAGER above


M. EMPIRE NETTA (1945 – 1946)
O.N. 169459. 292g. 116.0 x 27.6 x 12.7 feet.
T. 3-cyl. ((14”, 25½” & 41” x 27”) engine made by Aitchison, Blair Ltd., Clydebank. 900 ihp
21.9.1945: Launched by Fleming & Ferguson Ltd., Paisley (Yard No. 726) for the Ministry of War Transport, London, (Steel & Bennie Ltd., Glasgow, managers). 5.12.1945: Completed.
1946: Overseas Towage & Salvage Company Ltd., appointed as managers.
1948: Transferred to the Admiralty.
1964: Secretary of State for Defence, London.
1967: Sold to Jos. de Smedt, Belgium for demolition.
17.11.1967: Passed Antwerp bound from Pembroke Dock to Burght.

yorkieman
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:41 am
Location: Cottingham, Hull
Contact:

Re: Steel & Bennie

Post by yorkieman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:09 pm

There are photos of VICTOR of 1906 (later MARTY on the Tyne) showing her in drydock in a very poor state, as though she must have sunk and been salvaged at some time.
Does anyone have any details of such an incident please/
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

yorkieman
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:41 am
Location: Cottingham, Hull
Contact:

Re: Steel & Bennie

Post by yorkieman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 am

Photo of a rather 'wrecked' VICTOR unknown time/place, as posted on our North East Maritime forum
Victor22.jpg
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Post Reply

Return to “Steel and Bennie”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest