Page 1 of 1
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:54 pm
1889 - 1921
Société Anonyme de Remorquage à Hélice - Antwerpen.
Build 1881 at J.den Dekker - Hoboken.
32,92 x 6,43 x 3,38 x m.
600 ihp; after 1901, 650 ihp
In the fleet in 1889 named WASHINGTON from Société Anonyme des Remorquers Belge - Antwerpen.
Sold In 1921 renamed CRUSADE by Elliot Steam Tug Co.- Belfast.
In 1901 new boiler.
In 1936 broken-up.
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:50 pm
Thanks for posting this Henk, as you have also raised an issue here that is extremely valid to all and every ship that has one or more boilers.
We are all well aware that these essential items would not work for ever, let alone efficiently, so they had a set number of hours before needing to be re tubed, re built or re placed.
So including her new boiler in 1901 is valuable information, but for a vessel lasting 33 years, she must also have had a lot of time and money spent on her boilers, which when being maintained, means she is not working.
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:56 pm
1881 WASHINGTON, S.A. des Transports Maritimes Anglo=Belges, Antwerp
188x WASHINGTON, S.A. Union des Remorqueurs Belges, Antwerp
1890 WASINGTON, S.A.R.H.
1935 scrapped T.W.Ward & Son (Grays).
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:09 pm
Do know nothing about boilers or whatever!
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:35 am
12/1914 evacuated to London
21/12/1914-23/4/1915 on Admiralty (Royal Navy) service (mng C W Kellock & Co, London)
24/4/1915-4/12/1917 on War Office (Army) service at Le Havre
5/12/1917-13/2/1919 on Admiralty service
14/2/1919-31/7/1919 on War Office service
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:48 am
CRUSADE (1921 - 1934) iron screw tug.
O.N. 146124. 183g. 2n. 108.0 x 21.1 x 11.8 feet.
C.2-cyl. (24½” & 41" x 24") engine by J. Deneffe et Cie., Leige. 650ihp.
Post 1902: T.3-cyl. (14", 24” & 39" x 24") engine by G. T. Grey, South Shields. 75nhp. 563ihp.
1881: Completed as WASHINGTON by J. de Dekker et Compagnie, Hoboken, Belgium for L'Union des Remorqueurs Belges, Belgium.
1889: Sold to SARH – S.A. Remorquage à Hélice (H. Gerling), Belgium.
21.12.1914 until 31.7.1919: Hired by both the Admiralty and War Office, London.
9.1921: Acquired by the Elliott Steam Tug Company Ltd. (John Page, manager), London and renamed CRUSADE.
1934: Sold to T. W. Ward Ltd., Sheffield for demolition at their Grays, Essex facility.
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:39 pm
Thanks for that Bill!
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 pm
Would someone please explain why her funnel is so massive.
Thanks. Sean. E28
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:12 pm
Ahh well those of us of a certain age who remember having coal fires know the answer to that one!
The tall funnel was needed to create a "Good Draw" on the fire in the Grate of the Boiler causing the coal to burn hot and clean.
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:48 pm
10 May 1934 appears to be the date for her sale to Wards.
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:49 pm
That is very interesting Sean! Are there some more details?