Cheshire 1927 HMS - Armed Merchant Cruiser

User avatar
Woody
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Cheshire 1927 HMS - Armed Merchant Cruiser

Post by Woody » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm

HMS Cheshire
Armed Merchant Cruiser – F18
Troopship
Launched by Fairfield Govan, Yard No 620, on 20/4/1927 as a Passenger Vessel for the Bibby Line Ltd, Liverpool. Scrapped at Newport, South Wales in 1957
10550 grt
483.6ft x 60.3ft x 31.8ft
Twin Screw, Sulzer Diesel Engines 2CSA 16cyl giving 15 knots
6 x 6in Mk VII and 2 x 3in

Completed in July 1927 for Liverpool Eastern Service
29/8/1939 requisitioned for conversion to an AMC
30/10/1939 commissioned
November 1939 - April 1940: South Atlantic Station
May 1940: North Atlantic Escort Force
June 1940 - October 1940: Northern and Western Patrol
14/10/1940 she was hit by one torpedo by U.137 while Northwest of Ireland. She was towed to Belfast Lough and then taken to Liverpool where she was repaired and resumed service after six months
May 1941 - November 1941: Freetown Escort Force
December 1941 - Apr, 43: South Atlantic Station
18/8/1942 hit by a torpedo from U-214 in the Atlantic, but again managed to make port.
May 1943 - June 1943: Nore Command
12/7/1943 Returned and converted to a troopship
1945 commenced service as a Repatriation ship
5/10/1948 returned to owners and refitted as an emigrant ship
1953 converted again for trooping for the Korean war and served for 4 years
10/2/1957 laid up at Liverpool
Attachments
C1 Cheshire Greenock 5-12-1942.JPG
HMS Cheshire at Greenock on 5/12/1942
C1 Cheshire stern port Malta.jpg
Cheshire as a Troopship in Malta

Return to “RN Warships and Auxiliaries built on the Clyde”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests