Pomerol 1930 - Auxiliary Patrol Vessel

User avatar
Woody
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Pomerol 1930 - Auxiliary Patrol Vessel

Post by Woody » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Pomerol
Auxiliary Patrol Vessel - P.25
Launched by D & W Henderson Ltd Glasgow, Yard No 903, on 12/6/1930 as a Cargo Vessel for Worms et Cie. Paris. 18/9/1974 wrecked at Puerto Castilla, Honduras
1167 grt
245 ft 5in x 34 ft x 15ft
steam, triple exp, 3cy, giving 9 knots
4 x 100mm guns, 2 x 37mm AA guns, 4 x Hotchkiss 13.2mm (2 x 2) and 2 x Mitrailleuse MGs, plus 2 DC launchers with 24 DCs
Crew 72

Requisitioned by the French Navy and converted into an Auxiliary Patrol ship.
3/7/1940 seized by the Royal Navy at Plymouth along with her sister Medoc
September 1940 transferred to the Polish Navy but had a mixed crew of Free French, Polish and RN. Since the ships were French and the crews Polish, two flags were hoisted, the White Eagle and the Tricouleur. Later, when the same ships were manned by British crews, but still commanded by Polish officers, the ships wore three flags: Polish, French and British.
25/9/1940 while working up in Cowsand Bay she was near missed by three bombs resulting in engine damage
While escorting a convoy she had a boiler failure and nearly ran into a minefield
9/6/1941 to MWT
1954 to F.B. Rexach, Dominica and renamed RIO HAINA
1968 to F.Polarico, Dominica and renamed MARITISANT
Attachments
C1 Pomerol.jpg
Line drawing of Pomerol as a Patrol Vessel
C2 Pomerol and Medoc.jpg
Pomerol alongside Medoc
Pomerol OSPG.jpg
SS Pomerol
Old Ship Picture Galleries

Return to “RN Warships and Auxiliaries built on the Clyde”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests