puffer RHODA?

For information and articles on the many Clyde Shipowners
davidships

puffer RHODA?

Post by davidships » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:35 am

On another topic Alasdair wrote
And here was me getting all excited about a new puffer! Ach well - there's got to be one more to find somewhere. I can live in hope.
Could RHODA of 1864 be one? See http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ref=9856
A narrow-beamed (13½ft) 'inside boat', perhaps for the Monkland Canal? Her initial owners on the Clyde were the Jack family of Renfrew, and then both "Ross and Marshall" - before heading to Forth ownerhsip (via Dundee)
David Asprey

alasdairmac

Re: puffer RHODA?

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks David. Looks interesting.
Unfortunately I'm in hospital right now but I'll check that out when I get home.
All the best

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi David - yes, she certainly appears to fit the bill as a "puffer" and I will open a new page for her. I'll also take some time to try and find out more about her although I have to say that I can't have come across her in any of my earlier research - doesn't mean she's not hiding there somewhere though ! Many thanks once again.

PS: found her wreck record in the Canmore database, and although there is a question mark over it, it does appear that she did founder off Inverkip : http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/10 ... +of+clyde/

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Alasdair,
Sorry to hear you have been in hospital.
If some dummies in RCAHMS quote 65 metres, they need heids examined. These people seem to be a job creation.
Bruce

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:10 pm

In fairness Bruce, our esteemed Hydrographic Office quote HMS Hecla's survey report of 65 metres. Wrong wreck methinks.

Return to “Clyde Shipowners”