PLEA FOR INFORMATION

For information and articles on the many Clyde Shipowners
alasdairmac

PLEA FOR INFORMATION

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:37 am

I've received an email from Jane McLaughlin in BBC Glasgow who is a researcher working on a documentary on the life of Sir William Burrell. She is looking for information on his shipping interests. Can anyone here help her? If so please get in touch with her :

Jane McLaughlin
Researcher
Factual TV, Glasgow
BBC Scotland
Work: INT + 44 (0) 141 422 6064
Mobile: INT + 44 (0) 7734 704331
Email: jane.mclaughlin1@bbc.co.uk
BBC Scotland, Arts/Factual Dept, Zone 3.28, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow, G51 1DA

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: PLEA FOR INFORMATION

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 am

I could, and arguably should, help with this enquiry but, following numerous disappointing and quite unsatisfactory developments and reactions, or lack of, on previous occasions when trying to help researchers and media personnel, I'm going to avoid doing so - sorry. Common courtesy costs nothing, after all.

Having said that, very much a worthwhile subject as Burrell's business acumen was second to none, and his shipping interests were a good example of this. A pioneer in every sense of the word, like many others of that generation.

Angus.
Angus Mac Kinnon

Robert

Post by Robert » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Well Angus, you know my background so I've e-mailed the lass to see if I can help.
If it is, I might be looking for bits and pieces.

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:49 pm

A quick owners search on Miramar shows 46 vessels registered mainly to 'Burrell & Son' between 1868 and 1897, from 1883 they all had STRATHxxxxx names. This would exclude any sailing vessels. A high proportion seem to be Clyde-built as you may expect.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

George / Alba

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:15 pm

Ayr, George, Burrell's ships were smart, ahead of their time in many ways, and I believe they were well maintained. He lost a lot of his fleet through enemy action. However, having been purchased at very sharp pricing, taking full advantage of the shipping recession, and with Government compensation for war losses, the asture businessman was not too badly off.

If I recall, there is, or was, a very nice model on display at the entrance to the Burrell Collection building at Pollok.

Alba - go for it - life too short to be jaundiced like me !
Angus Mac Kinnon

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks gents, in particular yourself Alba.
Alasdair

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

valeman

Post by valeman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 pm

Burrell's are hard ships to find in photographs. Only one I have is this shot of presumably crew and passengers on the 1906 Port Glasgow built Strathness although I have a couple of puffers like the Gorilla which the company built and in which they retained an interest for some time. There is of course Cage's "A Tramp Shipping Dynasty" as a source of information. Graham
Attachments
Strathness985.jpg
Strathness
Graham Lappin

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi Graham. noted your mention of Burrell's puffer "Gorilla" - do you have any more information on her as this is one I've havn't previously recorded and can find no other reference to anywhere? Also appears out of synch name-wise with their other puffers, i.e. Terrier and Retriever. Anything you've got would be a great help to point me in the right direction. :beer:

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:56 pm

The STRATHNESS pic is quite delightful Graham. Thanks for that. Miramar has her as a cargo vessel and I suppose that is fair enough, if, by definition of some lists, she had fewer than thirteen passengers. To me, it is important to know that she had any.
In another tack, and like Alisdair, I don't have Burrell's GORILLA so I'm equally interested.

valeman

Post by valeman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Sorry, should have checked before submitting the email. Do not have a photo of Burrell's Gorilla. I do have porpoise which is on the puffer site. As I get older my memory gets worse. Graham
Graham Lappin

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 pm

And here was me getting all excited about a new puffer! Ach well - there's got to be one more to find somewhere. I can live in hope.
All the best Graham.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Angus Mac Kinnon

PLEA FOR INFORMATION - Burrell

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:56 pm

One of their steamers - pictured - the 4,336 tons S.S. STRATHESK launched on 27th August 1909, as Yard No. 314, from the Cartsdyke Shipyard of the Greenock & Grangemouth Shipbuilding Company Limited. Employed on both liner and tramping services, she was powered by a triple-expansion steam reciprocating engine that provided her with the moderate speed of 9.5 knots.

STRATHESK, O.N. 129430, was sold in 1916, by the Strathesk S.S. Coy. Ltd. (W. Burrell & Sons) to the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers (Melbourne, Australia), who renamed her AUSTRALBROOK, and was later acquired by Matsuoka Kissen KK of Fuchu, Japan, who renamed the vessel UGA MARU in 1924.

She met her end on 21st of August 1944 when she was torpedoed by the American submarine GUITARRO in a position off the North-West coast of the Philippines Island of Mindoro.

Angus
Attachments
Strathesk - 1.jpg
Steamer 'S.S. Strathesk' of 1909
Angus Mac Kinnon

Bill Harvey

Post by Bill Harvey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:36 pm

As a follow on but indirect request, I would like to ask if anybody has a copy of the book "A Tramp Shipping Dynasty - Burrell & Son" and would be able and willing to scan / print or photocopy pages 182 - 186 inclusive and send them to me?

It goes without saying that all costs will be met.

If so please send me a private message for my address and or e-mail address.

Regards

Bill

Return to “Clyde Shipowners”