C. EWEN. HMS BARFLEUR. 1910

For information and articles on the many Clyde Shipowners
E28

C. EWEN. HMS BARFLEUR. 1910

Post by E28 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Hope someone with good knowledge of Glasgow companies or men in 1910 can help me on this.
C. Ewen was either a company, trading as, or an individual named as, who apparently purchased the battleship HMS Barfleur 12 July 1910, or thereabouts.
She was sold for scrapping on that date, having been built by Chatham dockyard, launched 10 Aug 1892.
However, she was in fact quickly sold on to Hughes Bolckow and broken on the Tyne, arriving mid summer that year.
Maybe you can help if you know anything of C. Ewen, in whatever capacity.
I have been unable to trace any other ex RN ships they/he purchased at this time. Or any time.

I have put this here as it seems the logical place.
Shipowner. Maybe.
Ship breaker or agent. Please let me know.
Thanking you in advance for all input, and details of the subsequent sale of Barfleur to HB very welcome.
Raid - Trade - Aid
Thats all folks. Sean. E28

Magoonigal

Re: C. EWEN. HMS BARFLEUR. 1910

Post by Magoonigal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:26 am

Suspect he was a middle man Sean.

No mention of him in Horace White's history of Hughes Bolckow. She was only the second Warship to be broken up by the Company and they may have been feeling their way in a very new market, getting to know the Ropes!!

The Barfleur caused a few problems by getting stuck between the Piers of the Swing Bridge on her way up to Dunston which made Hughes think again about basing his Yard so far up the River.
Paul Hood.

E28

Re: C. EWEN. HMS BARFLEUR. 1910

Post by E28 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Yes Paul, you may be right. Agent or some such similar phrase then in use.
The auction for her sale was held at Portsmouth on 12 July 1910.
The sale price for Barfleur was £26,550 with the strict stipulation she was to be entirely broken up as soon as practical, with no functioning parts sold on. Large sums had been spent on her upkeep in the previous decade totalling £133,453

In addition to the £26,550 for Barfleur, 2 other ex front line warships also sold in the same sale.
Centurion £26,200
Nelson £14,500
Raid - Trade - Aid
Thats all folks. Sean. E28

Return to “Clyde Shipowners”