History of Peter Barclay & Son, Ardrossan

For posting information on Clyde Shipbuilders and listings of the ships they built
wreckmaster

History of Peter Barclay & Son, Ardrossan

Post by wreckmaster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 am

Looking for History on this builder, specifically any connections with Hugh Barclay also Shipbuilder of Ardrossan
or Barclay, Roberton & Company, Ardrossan (Hugh Barclay, and James Paterson Roberton) .

I also have the following vessels from LR 1872 and 1880 listed as built by Barclay, Ardrossan .
If any one can help match these to builders please feel free.
Mary Rosanna 27314, 87 nrt Schooner BT 1860 reg Fleetwood .
Volunteer 52915, 140 nrt Schooner BT 1865 reg Runcorn.
Sir James 73481, 37 nrt Schooner, BT 1875 reg Belfast.
Blue Jacket 62956 108 nrt Schooner, BT 1869 reg Fleetwood.
Flora Kelso 60612, BT 1868 .

wreckmaster

Re: History of Peter Barclay & Son, Ardrossan

Post by wreckmaster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 pm

I can now answer this one myself.
Hugh Barclay was the son of Peter Barclay, after the death of Peter in 1867 Hugh continued to build under the name Peter Barclay & Son in partnership with James Paterson Roberton.
Business went bust in 1877.

Rob Chester

Post by Rob Chester » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello Wreckmaster,

I have done a little research on the firm of Peter Barclay & Son. Peter Barclay was originally a Blacksmith (in partnership with his father) in the ship yard at Saltcoates. The partnership was dissolved in 1830 and Peter embarked on his ship building career.

In 1867 Peter Barclay dissolved a partnership with Charles Shearer. The two had been operating a shipbuilding firm under the name "Barclay and Shearer." Peter Barclay continued to build but the firm became Peter Barclay & Son. His son Hugh would have attained the age of 21 in 1867. Peter Barclay had 9 children, 8 girls and one boy.

Peter Barclay died in 1867 and his son took over the firm. One of Peter's daughters, Mary Barclay, married James Robertson, a marine engineer, described as Peter Barclay's "manager and assistant." Robertson invested heavily in Peter Barclay's firm and at some point it was operating as "Barclay and Robertson." This may have been after Peter's death. Robertson subsequently lost a great deal of money when Barclay & Sons went bankrupt.

The firm, trading under the name of Barclay, Roberton & Co went bankrupt in 1877. They could not compete with the larger yards in Ardrossan and on the Clyde.

It is a sad ending: Hugh Barclay lost everything. He died a pauper in the Glasgow workhouse.

Peter Barclay is my wife's Great Great Great Grandfather.

What is your interest?

Rob

wreckmaster

Post by wreckmaster » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Rob
Sorry I missed your post when it came in, you may have read in another post that a new Clyde built ships website is due for release soon viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28202 .
The new website will contain the history of individual builders or at least as much as we know. I gathered very little information on Peter Barclay & Son so I have left it on the shelf for a while.
So here is your chance to see your name in lights, would you like to write the history of Peter Barclay & Son for the new web site ? we will of course give you full credit.

Mick

Robert

Post by Robert » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Well constructed piece Rob. I would be interested in your opinion of the Robertson / Roberton confusion. It's been running for a long time. Some newspaper error?
I'm a Robertson on ma mammy's side and they Robertsons were awfy particular 8-)

ewnmcg

Post by ewnmcg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 am

Been reading up on Barclay at Ardrossan. I attach a 1920 photo of the Loch Iorsa which was built by Barclay - 1876 I think. She went around the west coast, often carrying coal. In this case she had coal for Coll and her destination was the pier right behind her. Never managed to find out what happened, but I believe it was just an unfortunate event - perhaps a gust of wind blew her onto the rock. Alongside is another boat and the cargo is being transshipped. 44 years of service is good for a wooden ship.
Attachments
1920 - Loch Iorsa.jpg
The Loch Iorsa aground in 1920 at Arinagour, Isle of Coll.

ewnmcg

Post by ewnmcg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:57 pm

For those folk asking about P Barclay & Son, I attach a few newspaper articles about launches in the 1870s. I have not (yet) investigated how many years they plied their trade.
Attachments
1800s 4 x P Barclay launches.jpg

Return to “Clyde Shipbuilders”