Green Goddesses Go East

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
Deepol

Green Goddesses Go East

Post by Deepol » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:56 pm

GreenGoddessTram-UnionStreet-29Broomhouse.jpg
That was the title of a small book published many years ago now about the ex-Liverpool tramcars in Glasgow which still kept their Liverpool nicknames
Because of curve problems on some routes they became restricted to the 15 I think to Baillieston and certainly the route I knew them most on, the 29 to Broomhouse as this was the Glasgow Zoo tram.
This photo shows one heading for Broomhouse along Renfield Street.
One destination which they carried when they were heading back to the city was Normal School which fascinated me. If this was this the only normal school in Glasgow were all the others abnormal..... The Normal School was actually a short destination terminus in Cowcaddens and I think later became Stow College.
I'm sure one Green Goddess is active at Crich and Liverpool has one on static display
Paul Strathdee

Allan

Re: Green Goddesses Go East

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:06 pm

Thanks for posting Paul –

Brings back lots of memories of the Glasgow Trams – looks similar to the Coronation Tram, but not quite – was this the predecessor?

Was there in Argyle Street as a sixteen-year-old, in September 1962 – the Last Night of the Trams.
Allan Macmillan

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:41 am

I can't remember when the Green Goddesses were introduced but certainly similar to the Mk1 Coronation. Whether Glasgow had a look at Liverpool or vice versa I wouldn't like to say! I liked the Green Goddesses and I'm glad to say on all excursions to Glasgow Zoo it seemed to be one of those.
Just for good measure here's a Mk1 Coronation at Bargeddie on the segregated track section now part of the dual carriageway of the A89.......
I was on the last tram in the 1962 Last Night procession a Coronation- think it was 1173 now in the Riverside Museum.
Attachments
Coronation1238.jpg
Paul Strathdee

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:22 pm

I was on the last tram in the 1962 Last Night procession a Coronation
Wow - lucky you.

Been meaning to visit the Riverside Museum - one more reason to do so.
Allan Macmillan

iainnevill

Post by iainnevill » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:12 am

Great photograph of the Coronation on the reserved track at Bargeddie, which I believe was the last new track extension in the Glasgow System ( from Knightswood), but of all the bogie cars my firm favourites were the 'Kilmarnocks' the longer version of the Glasgow Standard Tram with Maximum Traction Bogies. Like the Green Goddess they had trouble coping with the city centre curves & many were restricted on the long straight routes between Auchenshuggle & Dalmuir West.

As a boy I used to anger my cousins by refusing to board Coronations or Cunarders, insisting on waiting for a Kilmarnock & taking up residence in the front vestibule, which was a glorious and private little space, a bit like a Victorian living room.

The Green Goddesses were an absolute disaster for Glasgow, The Platforms sagged, they let in rain , the electric cables often caught fire and they could only operated on fairly straight routes. Liverpool were probably quite glad to get rid of quite a large batch of them to Glasgow in 1953 and they only lasted a few years.

Also great to be reminded of the Normal School, that famous teacher training institution based on the French L'Ecole Normale system started in the mid 19th Century in Glasgow by David Stow.

Best Wishes To All. Iain Nevill

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Aye Iain, many fond memories of the front vestibule above the driver. Always fun to open the window and change the destination board and see how long it took for some irate wee wife to give the driver an earful for going to the wrong place! Always ended with a stern "git aff" and us walking the rest of the way home. Or if the top deck was empty when you were on your way off, run back through it changing the seatbacks to face the other way - whit a clatter they made. Great days.
:evil: :evil:

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 am

1111KilmarcockMaximumTractionTramcar-RS.jpg
Ron Scholten Collection courtesy Dave Menzies
1173CoronationCar-LastTram1962.jpg
This looks very much like Westmuir Street at Parkhead Cross.
1111 Kilmarnock Bogie and 1173 on the Last Tram Procession which proves I was not on that particular one. Possibly my one being last in the cavalcade was a normal service car. Still a memorable night despite the later cloudburst at Coplawhill Works on Albert Drive!
Paul Strathdee

Nick Owen

Post by Nick Owen » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 am

Deepol wrote:I'm sure one Green Goddess is active at Crich and Liverpool has one on static display
We were on the one at Crich a few years ago when the conductor recognised the Glasgow accent of one of the passengers. "You'll remember this one then?" he asked. "Aye" came the reply, "I've boaked on it twice".

Return to “FOGHORN”