Saw this big burd doon in Ayr ..... !

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
Angus Mac Kinnon

Saw this big burd doon in Ayr ..... !

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Naw, no' thon kind o' burd, keep well clear o' thon yins .....

So, what is the this one shown resting on what remains of one of the stone column supports of the old railway bridge that ran from the North side of the river to the South side - is it a heron ? Big Burd ....... :o
Attachments
Ayr Harbour Heron - 1.JPG
Ayr Harbour Heron - 1
Ayr Harbour Heron - 2.JPG
Ayr Harbour Heron - 2
Ayr Harbour Heron - 3.JPG
Ayr Harbour Heron - 3
Ayr Harbour Heron - 4.JPG
Ayr Harbour Heron - 4
Ayr Harbour Heron - 5.JPG
Ayr Harbour Heron - 5
Ayr Harbour Heron - 6.JPG
Ayr Harbour Heron - 6
Angus Mac Kinnon

Robert

Re: Saw this big burd doon in Ayr ..... !

Post by Robert » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Had to check in a burd book and there seems to be very little doubt that it is a heron.
On the other hand, if I get as many surprises in burds as in ships I would be shot down pronto!

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:31 pm

It's a heron. When they are flying at a distance they are of a size that leads many people to think they have seen an eagle. When you see an eagle, you know you've seen an eagle.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Andy & Alba - the Heron

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks for your responses, which confirm my suspicion - it was a heron. Have seen it once before, near the same area, but was not able to get a good picture on that occasion. This is clearly a favourite hunting spot, a significant flow of the River Ayr takes place here, especially the big ebb flows, and a lot of 'lunches' and 'dinners' come hurtling down towards the sea at a number of knots, and this is borne out by the large number of seagulls, ducks, cormorants and other predators to be seen along the banks of the river and from the various bridges.

For such a large bird, their agility is quite surprising. They stand stock still for age, only the eyes moving slightly, and then, without any warning, that big fearsome beak and half its head disappear into the water and, hey presto, out it comes back up with a feed!

Thanks again, Angus
Angus Mac Kinnon

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:35 am

Angus,
The bird book was left on the table where I had left it. Flo asked why I had used it so we looked again at your pics and all the messages. Said expert chided me a little as she reckoned I should not have needed the book at all.
The point of all this is that "your" heron is a young one and had I looked at the next page I would have seen another pic showing that exact immature bird. The mature specimen shows a longer neck and extended nape feathers. So keep snapping and let us see the burd when she develops.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:13 pm

I will monitor her as though she had a bow and a stern and was loading coal for Drogheda !

Thank Detective Flo for her wise intervention in this matter !
Angus Mac Kinnon

Return to “FOGHORN”