Isle of Lewis on the blink - again

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
Angus Mac Kinnon

Isle of Lewis on the blink - again

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:05 pm

M.V. Isle of Lewis service off again due to 'technical problems'.

No, not the Island, the vessel. Och, okay, the Island too. The pair of them well and truly knacked.

Time we went back to Scottish-built vessels with steam reciprocating engines, methinks ..... :roll:
Angus Mac Kinnon

dmacleod

Re: Isle of Lewis on the blink - again

Post by dmacleod » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 pm

Never mind,old faithful Isle of Arran is on her way tothe rescue once again to do the morning run to Ullapool. I understand it's electronic problems and await technicians from the mainland to rectify the problem. I find this difficult to get my head round it,surely there is expertise (other than ships staff) locally who could fix it assuming it's a software problem. It's a busy route and I feel more there are suitable vessels could "fill in" even if the Hebrides is in dock and feel the Lewis folk get taken advantage of too often but feel it's their own fault for putting up with unreliable transport as well as other "rip offs". Rant over but I am booked on the crossing to SY next week so here;s hoping!
Donald Macleod

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Yes, Donald, the Lewis folk have every justification in being peeved off, it's becoming a bad habit now. Wonder whether the new vessel will offer any better reliability? The worrying thing these is that the old I of L is designated the standby vessel in event the new one conks out too. Considering the volume of traffic and revenue the Stornoway - Ullapool service generates, it's just not good enough. Hope your passage next week goes without incident. Maybe you should consider alternative route e.g. Lochmaddy-Uig or Lochboisdale-Oban ?
Angus Mac Kinnon

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhCjnFOUso

Loch Seaforth being launched a couple of weeks ago.
Is it the first Calmac ferry built outside the UK and launched traditionally and not sideways?

Jamie

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:09 am

Outbound from Stornoway at the moment (11:05) but not on course for Ullapool by the looks of it - so far at least.

dmacleod

Post by dmacleod » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:35 pm

That was her going out on trials Alasdair,which were successful and she is resuming service this afternoon,so the IofA can head off down south again no doubt.
Donald Macleod

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:09 pm

Well done to the ships engineers. They don't get much thanks from anybody up there, and are keeping an almost 20 year old ship going on a 7 day schedule for which it was never intended. You can blame Calmac for many things, but not the ships staff.
david watson

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 pm

Help ma boab Cap'n David, you'll have yon Eriskean injinoor goin' skelly eyed when he sees your praise of his ilk. He'll be back on the tablets again.

:beer: for the engineers on IoL

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Alistair, one of the "modus operandi" of any decent Master was always "keep the b*******s confused!!! Heh Heh Heh.
david watson

Return to “FOGHORN”