UP NORTH OR DOWN SOUTH?

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
iainnevill

UP NORTH OR DOWN SOUTH?

Post by iainnevill » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:55 am

I often visit Berwick Upon Tweed walking the Berwickshre Coastal Path from St Abbs through Eyemouth & Burnmouth to Berwick & in my last visit a couple of weeks ago I had a discussion with some of the locals in a pub about how far North we were within the island of Great Britain. When some of them told me that we were considerably more North than many parts of the Central Belt of Scotland my hackles rose & I said with confidence that they were a crowd of Southerners.

In the morning with complete sobriety I checked the facts & to my astonishment I found that they were correct. The very South of Glasgow is, in fact South of the English Border on the East Coast by a very small margin.

When I take my dog for a walk in the parks just to the South of Glasgow I can now say that I am going up North to England for my next walking holiday. I am sure that I would be met with disbelief & would be thought of as a nutter, but check the facts & you willl find that this seemimgly crazy statement is true.

Best Wishes to all, Iain

yorkieman

Re: UP NORTH OR DOWN SOUTH?

Post by yorkieman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:46 am

Iain
So where did you get this strange notion that Scotland is a northern country?
Mull of Galloway 54.37N
My home town Redcar, south of the Tees .... 54.37N

Greetings from Hull, in the North of England ;)

p.s. for those of you proposing this independence thingy, it is clear that a new border following an agreed line of latitude will be required, if it's good enough for Canada etc then why not here. So as Berwick is the key point, the new border will run due west to just north of Fairlie. That sounds more than fair to me. And England gets a nice golf course and always-sunny resort as compensation. :lol:
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:06 am

I live in Scotland but the land border runs well to the north of me. The key point would have to be the Mull of Galloway as I live there and don't want to be English. Run the border east from there. The people of Penrith may not be too happy as the border will then run right through the town. :-)

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Hmm, I expected that .... no, there is no latitude re the latitude of Berwick, due west it must be!
However, to settle the matter and without prejudice, we may be able to offer Bradford and Hartlepool as Scottish sovereign enclaves, as they have much in common with Scotland ... we canna understand whit they are saying!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Nick Owen

Post by Nick Owen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:36 pm

yorkieman wrote:we may be able to offer Bradford and Hartlepool as Scottish sovereign enclaves, as they have much in common with Scotland
And Corby!

Here's another:
Which is further west, Liverpool or Edinburgh?
Unless you are one of those who keep such facts squirreled away for pub quizzes, the answer may surprise you.

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:34 pm

You would have to be paddling off Hoylake to match Edinburgh .... or in the middle of Cardiff!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Nick Owen

Post by Nick Owen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:37 am

It's also notable that the Atlantic end of the Panama Canal is further west than the Pacific end, though obvious when you look at the map - another one for the pub quiz.

NickO

Post by NickO » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Why not be totally daft, and have a border running north south, thus creating Westland and Eastland.
I wouldn't have a clue where to draw the line though..........any suggestions. :roll:

Return to “FOGHORN”