Braehead

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
SCameron

Braehead

Post by SCameron » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:54 pm

A colleage that joined the old Babcock & Wilcox Research Station in the High Street, Renfrew within a couple of weeks of myself in the summer of 1978 retired yesterday. Over the past 35 years we have spent countless hours on flights to far flung power stations plants all over the World.
The closest power station to base, the South of Scotland Electricity Board's Braehead Power Station was just over the fence on the former Elderslie estate. Its hard to remember exactly where the station stood as the site has been transformed by the shopping, leasure and residential developments.
Attachments
Braehead Power Station.jpg
Braehead Power Station

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Braehead

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Hallo, Stuart, good to see you posting, I know things have not been easy for you for some time now.

I finally retired in mid-February and still trying to come to terms with the experience. So is Frances.

I well recall the precise location of the old Braehead Power Station, having worked across the river at the Elderslie Drydocks of Barclay Curle for 5.5 years. The Blythswood yard had a fair piece of ground immediately East of the P.S., a consequence of the night they and neighbours Yarrow got a mauling from enemy aircraft. The site on the South side of the river was used for Electrical, Pipework, Copper-Shop, and other ancillary trades and equipment. It was considered a safer bet to re-build there than in the North-side Yard given that was a high-target area for the bombers.

You may also recall the tragic loss of the Clyde tug FORAGER - that occurred nearby, in fact almost just off the Blythswood South bank installations.

Hope your colleague has a long and happy retirement - and think it's about high time you followed his example.

Angus
Angus Mac Kinnon

SCameron

Re: Braehead

Post by SCameron » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks Angus, Dad is trying out a retirement home this weekend and has a longer trial period arranged for October if he wants to go down that route. The house seems very quietand empty without him.

My colleague, just retired, is from Lewis and he's going to spend part of his time back home while retaining his Clydeside base for now, probably for the wintertimes..... His departure has set me thinking , I'm beinging to feel a bit like old father time in the office. But its incredible how difficult it can be to make moves along these lines, I never anticipated it being like that. There are still a couple of development jobs that intrigue me and exercise the old grey matter in the way I've always enjoyed so I'll probably hang around to see them through one way or other - provived that they don't get too political.

I've not been passed Yarrows / Elderslie much in the last year or sobut one time I did pass a few weeks ago I notice that they seemed to be clearing away the old original Yarrow building berths that they set out in 1906 when they moved up from Poplar. They didn't use them much after they built the covered building facilities on the site of the Blythswood yard. They were building stuff on them in the 80s for one of those cancelled contracts for the Far East - I remember the part built hulls lay on them for ages (we had a couple of oil gas boiler parts for a new power station called Al Anbar in Iraq that lay around the Renfrew site, getting in the way, for years after the job got embargoed during the first Gulf War. I must say that both the Govan and Scotstoun yards look 'dead' externally these days. I know that there is still a lot of work on the second carrier going on inside the halls but externally, with no ships apparent at either yard, and none likely, you could almost believe that they were already closed. The signs are all too familiar from times past

SC

Return to “FOGHORN”