Mystery shipwreck in New Orleans

A place to cover incidents / accidents / sinkings etc from around the world.
CaptDag

Mystery shipwreck in New Orleans

Post by CaptDag » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 pm

I read an interesting story a good time back. the story of a cargo ship burning and capsizing in the Mississippi river in 60's, possibly early 70's. I believe the army corp. of engineers dredged a trench and rolled the ship into it. there she lays to this day. does this story ring any bells ? I can't seem to get anything on web. any information would be appreciated. Thanks

davidwat

Re: Mystery shipwreck in New Orleans

Post by davidwat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 pm

This was an ex-Cunarder with two funnels ( the for'd one was a dummy). I forget her name, but she was one of two sisterships (Aluania ??). She was in collision close to the bridge at New Orleans, and almost struck it. She sank very quickly, and thereafter, as you say, they just dug a large trench in the mud alongside her and rolled her in. This was the quickest way to clear the river for normal traffic, and the Yanks don't mess around in such circumstances.
david watson

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 pm

1942-built S.S. Union Faith, Taiwain flag, a 7,031 GRT cargo-ship. 25 or 26 lives lost in the tragic episode. A trench was excavated alongside the wreck, after which the ground below her was cut away to cause her to rol;l into the trench that had been designed to accommodate her. Incident took place in April 1969.

Source - Ships Nostalgia Forum exchange
Angus Mac Kinnon

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi Angus,

Union Faith was the new name of the ex Cunarder after being sold.
david watson

Magoonigal

Post by Magoonigal » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi both........Right name wrong details.

UNION FAITH.

Built 1948 by J L Thompson & Sons Ltd., Sunderland.
7301 Gross. 4002 Net. 10550 Dwt.
Three Steam Turbines direct geared to a single shaft by Parsons Marine Steam Turbines of Newcastle.
8800 shp. 16 knots.

Original Name SILVERBRIAR 1948-1951, Owner:- Silver Line.
1951-1963. ANDRIA, Owner:- Cunard.
1963- China Union Lines Ltd. Taiwan.
Sank in the Mississippi, off New Orleans on the 7th April 1969 after fire which followed a collision with a string of oil barges when inward bound from Hong Kong. Twenty Fuive members of her crew were lost.
Paul Hood.

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Yep, that's the one, Paul.
As Eric Morecambe used to say, " 'scuse me, matey, I'm playing the right tune-------I've just got the notes in the wrong places".
david watson

Magoonigal

Post by Magoonigal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:29 pm

:lol: :lol:

Well you see, If I add the little bit I know to the little bit you know and the bit that Angus knows we come up with the right answer.

I did'nt know the bit about them digging the Trench and rolling the ship into it, that was interesting, but it just goes to show that some of these other Forum's are not 100% accurate.......something Bernard McCall was on about in the December edition of Coastal Shipping.
Paul Hood.

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Bernard writes that in EVERY issue I think! But ignores that fact that most shipping magazines (inc. his own) contain occasional errors, for a variety of reasons e.g. a change of ship name not reported accurately, but at least the forums can be corrected and updated more easily than the printed word.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Henk

Post by Henk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Before giving a printed word in public, an author must know that many people, knowing more than he does, will read his words. So, first of all there must be a native searching! That tooks some years! Most authors don't like to take that time!
For example: have a look into the first two books on Maersk by Stig Ole Johannesen. Good books, most of data is correct maybe 5% open to questions. But his third one is a concatenate of missings. The part with the suppliers is a real disaster.
I think, writers are sometimes placed under time-pressure by a bookmaker or whatever. Than these sort of things happens. Making mistakes and following by a next one. As an author you must know that you never can get 100%, but you can try to make mistakes better in following issue. That is mr Bernard's failure I suppose. Make him a member of Clydemaritime! He can learn something! ;)
After I started with Maersk Supply in 1985 I hope to reach a score of 95% when giving it on the market this summer. That missing 5% is for all of you your Christmas present! I hope to find that missing part next year! A bit laughing of course, but in fact: it is reality.
What I would like to say is: it is very hard to be 100% and be happy with people daring to send a publication, trying to get up to 90%. Hoping you will find some efforts for the 10% missing. To late, yes, but that is always the same: placing a book like we do, by the time you can buy it, it is already history!
Hoping I have placed the right words? Henk
Henk de Winde

Return to “MAYDAY”