BALTIC ACE

A place to cover incidents / accidents / sinkings etc from around the world.
Henk

BALTIC ACE

Post by Henk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 pm

North Sea
The freighter CORVUS J was in collission with the car carrier BALTIC ACE which is sinking about 30 miles West of Schouwen Duiveland and 15 miles West from Steenbank Anchorage in the fairway to Rotterdam in location 51° 44' 56.9004" N, 3° 11' 57.516" E.
In the meantime I saw her disapearing from MarineTraffic, so I think she sank.
Attachments
balticace_D720EA2C3DEC591CC1257ACB006B4ACB_6.jpg
©Peter Beetjes
CORVUS J©Paul Gerdes 27-04-2012 IMG_1837.JPG
©Paul Gerdes
Zoeken.jpg
©MarineTraffic
Henk de Winde

mcmahos
Site Admin

Re: BALTIC ACE

Post by mcmahos » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:24 pm

From the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20616997
Cargo ship feared lost after collision off Dutch coast

Helicopters are rescuing the 24 crew members of the Baltic Ace
Dutch coastguards are mounting a major rescue operation in the North Sea after a cargo ship is reported to have sunk after a collision.

The accident took place around 100km (60 miles) off the coast of Rotterdam.

A coastguard spokesman said helicopters were winching the 24 crew members of the Baltic Ace to safety.

Three lifeboats and two helicopters are assisting the rescue, and two naval frigates are also reported to be heading for the scene.

High waves and strong wind are hampering rescue operations, according to the Dutch Ministry of Defence.

The Baltic Ace was sailing under a Bahamas flag. It was transporting cars from Zeebrugge in Belgium to Finland when it collided with the Cyprus-registered container ship, the Corvus J, sailing from Grangemouth in Scotland to the Belgian port of Antwerp.

The Cyrus J is said to be badly damaged but not in danger of sinking, AP news agency reported.

The shipping lane where the accident happened is one of the busiest in the North Sea, close to the entrance to Rotterdam port, which is Europe's busiest.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

leontug

Re: BALTIC ACE

Post by leontug » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 am

At present 13 crewmembers were saved and taken to hospitals, 4 crewmembers were saved but pronounced deceased and 7 are still missing.
Search is still going on by Multratug 4, Marc Andre and Happy Harrier.

Very sad.

Leon

Return to “MAYDAY”