Explosion Kills 2 on Hurtigruten Ferry MS Nordlys

A place to cover incidents / accidents / sinkings etc from around the world.
SCameron

Explosion Kills 2 on Hurtigruten Ferry MS Nordlys

Post by SCameron » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:23 am

An explosion and fire in the engineroom of the Norwegian Hurtigruten (Coastal Express Service) motor ship Nordlys has killed two crew members and seriously injured two others. At one point the vessel took on a significant list, subsequently corrected,and was seen to be billowing thick black smoke from the aft superstructure

http://youtu.be/zk3BssdbRMM

http://youtu.be/iGir_GsXLc4

mcmahos
Site Admin

Re: Explosion Kills 2 on Hurtigruten Ferry MS Nordlys

Post by mcmahos » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:32 am

[moving topic to Mayday - existing thread there]

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

tomlangbank

Post by tomlangbank » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Dreadful thing to happen on a modern passenger vessel. Are even the new Hurtigruten vessels single compartment? If so that would help to explain the big list but not of course the fire. Deep sympathy for those lost but glad there were no more.

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Although she has very modern lines Tom, "Nordlys" is actually 17 years old as so may well be a single hull. In the last couple of days, one of the Norwegian newspapers has been having a go at Hurtigruten for having far too many accidents in the last few years - I think they listed 29 - including groundings and collisions. I had always associated Norwegian ships and seamen with the very highest of standards but maybe not.......

Henk

Post by Henk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Norwegian standard is one of the best in the world. I have sailed on board NORDLYS a couple of times, I was in her engine room etc and found it allmost clean as our kitchen at home (well, allmost). What I heard this morning from a Smit salvor is that this was a crankcase explosion that damaged a main gasoline service pipe that started fire at her port main engine and a water-inlet valve that broke off and is the reason for this water inlett. Of course this is not an official knowledge, but let say a rumour!
I am open for all news and pictures, but I think that is useless to say?
Henk de Winde

Return to “MAYDAY”