Hurtigruten Fire

A place to cover incidents / accidents / sinkings etc from around the world.
mcmahos
Site Admin

Hurtigruten Fire

Post by mcmahos » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:07 am

Just found this article - Fire this morning on the MS Nordlys:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 58&act=url

Translation via Google!:

The dense smoke from the Hurtigruten which is outside Ålesund. The fire must have started in the engine room. Two people are injured.
OLAUG BJØRNESET
olaug.bjorneset @ nrk.no
Published Today 09:30. Updated Today 10:03.

LATEST: Norwegian Coastal Voyage has docked.

Police said the burning of the Hurtigruten Nordlys that are on the way to the quay in Ålesund. Rescue Crew is on the way to the place. The situation is unclear.

Unresolved
- There is an unresolved fire in the engine. We will try to get the Quick Route to land. Thurs rescue helicopter is on its way, says Stein Solberg's rescue inspector at the Main Rescue Coordination Centre of Southern Norway.

Fire department, rescue boat, police and ambluansar is in place. There are 262 people on board.

See the video:

Coastal in the fire at Ålesund
Serious situation

Police and Main Rescue hopes to get Hurtigruta quickly to shore. There are 262 people on board.
Photo: Berit Susanne Kjølås / NRK
Stein Solberg said the situation is serious.

- There is a serious situation. We have a fire in the machine, which is damaged and there is no progress on the shortcut route. We hope however that there are more injured than two, says Stein Solberg.

Smoke over the city
Smoke development is so strong that the whole center of Ålesund is smoke added. Police ask people to turn off ventilation systems and leave back windows.

- It's dense smoke. We hope now that we will ship to shore as soon as possible, says operations manager Arnfinn Valderhaug at Sunnmøre politidsitrikt.

Confusing
Communications Manager, Hurtigruten, Ragnar Nordum says to NRK that the situation is confusing. He does not know how it goes with the injured.

- The main focus is to ensure the ship, get it to shore and get the passengers and crew on land, he says.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

mcmahos
Site Admin

Re: Hurtigruten Fire

Post by mcmahos » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:33 am

Attachments
hurtigrute_brannNY_907521i.jpg
Nordlys fire
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 am

Let's hope there are no casualties. Quite moving when you remember the TV coverage earlier this year.
Paul Strathdee

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Reports of 2 dead, 2 missing and several injuries.

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Sad news, let's hope the casualty list doesn't rise. I took this photograph of her in happier times, in Geirangerfjord a couple of years ago.
Attachments
nordlys.jpg

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Yes, very sad day for them. And this picture of the Nordlys shows she's not out of the woods yet....
www.nrk.no

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 pm

She was on an even keel when she arrived alongside in Alesund and so a question for one of our maritime techie members:

Is it likely that the fire could be of such an intensity that it would eventually burn through her hull and allow flooding, or might they be deliberately flooding the engine room ?

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Reports on the Norwegian websites are suggesting that there was an explosion which breached the hull, and more water was coming in than being pumped out, but divers appear to have stabilised her tonight.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Apparently more water has been getting in and she's listing quite badly now as shown in this image from www.nrk.no

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:32 pm

The following link takes you to pictures of Nordlys in happier times when I photographed her at Trondheim in 2006. In those pictures she still bore the funnel livery of the old Troms Fylkes Dampskibsselskap company (founded in 1866). Soon after it was merged with the Ofotens og Vesteraalens Dampskibselskab (the Ofoten & Vesteralen Steamship Company). This company resulted from the merger in 1988 of Vesteraalens Dampskibsselskab (founded 1881) and Ofotens Dampskipsselskap (founded 1936) Since1st March 2006 the joint operating company has been known as Hurtigruten Group ASA.

http://pudzeoch.smugmug.com/Travel/Norw ... 5003_w58iq

Return to “MAYDAY”