Site Maintenance

Info about the site
mcmahos
Site Admin

Site Maintenance

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Over the next few days I'm going to be doing some tidying up behind the scenes on the forum, which shouldn't involve any downtime. One task I will be doing is deleting users who have registered an account but have never visited the site after activation - there are over 200 such accounts.

There are also numerous accounts where a user has joined and has visited the site just once (usually on the day they've joined). I'm proposing to leave them active for now, but they are on the radar for the next tidyup. Happy to discuss/hear thoughts on removing/keeping them.

The Tapatalk plugin has also just been upgraded to the latest version (although it wasn't as smooth an update as I'd hoped). Any members using Tapatalk on their smartphones let me know if you have any issues.

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

time out images

Re: Site Maintenance

Post by time out images » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:31 pm

if someone has joined and never botherd with the forum at all i would delete them,
Regards Thomas

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Tapatalk appears to be functioning fine Stuart.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:11 pm

A cull? Hey you'll have that Angus calling you after my favourite Duke, old sausage face! 8-)
But yes it makes sense, even those who have posted only once and if more that say 6 months ago could be deleted as far as I am concerned.

What is this Tapatalk, is it some means of communicating by tap dancing? We don't do that sort of pansy thing here in Yorkshire. But I could try Clogatalk if you get big enough receptors ..... :lol:
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:41 pm

:clap:

That will reduce the membership figures significantly, but they will at least be more representative and accurate. I agree with the principle wholeheartedly, not too impressed with certain websites that claim an astonishing membership yet, like our own site, it is always the same old posters and the others remains anonymous.

Parrotonian - I could not possibly refer to our Heid Honcho Webmeister as 'old sausage face' - the sausage trade would rise in arms against me ...... :roll:

Tapatalk is simply a modern communications technology designed to make Elderly Personages who are well past it feel that they are windswepot and trendy and, just in case one might not have noticed their fliration with 'progress' all their messages terminate with the immortal words "Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2" - whatever that means ! :lol:

The Troonite
Angus Mac Kinnon

Henk

Post by Henk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Seems a good idea to delete those never- and one day trippers Stuart.
By the way, Tapatalk is that some talking about Spanish food?
Henk de Winde

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Hey yooze. Tapatalk requires exceptional manual dexterity of a level not associated with gereatric millet miners and munchers. Just leave it to those of us resident in Ayrshire's premier port town and here in the technoligical metropolis of West Lothian

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 pm

It's what Angus has to do to Francis to utter some words of wisdom. Tap her to talk.

'Scuse me, can I get a word in please.' :lol:

Mind you, if he ever tries to use it, you might well get some Tapas ordered by mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:40 am

Enough humour, there's no need to fawcett :lol:

Sent from my QWERTY device via Manuel Dexterity, my Spanish server.
Another sherry please, Manuel.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Earlier on at the start of this thread, before the banter kicked in, I proposed to remove users who haven't been active on the site.

Well, that tidyup has now taken place, and users who had registered before 31 Dec 2011 but had never visited the site since then and had 0 posts against their name have had their accounts deleted. In total just over 530 accounts have been removed.

There are about 100 accounts which do have posts against them but haven't visited since 31 Dec 2011 which I'll leave in place.

There are a further 450 accounts which have 0 posts and haven't visited since 31 Dec 2012.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Well done - I think that was needing done and makes the site more honest and representative :clap:

It will be interesting to note how many of these 530 'members' make an appearance in due course seeking readmission to the site - I would suspect none or less than 2 or 3.

It is also noteworthy how few of the balance actually post - that's not to say they do not read the daily contributions, but shame we never hear from them. :cry:
Angus Mac Kinnon

Return to “Housekeeping”