Server Problems

Info about the site
mcmahos
Site Admin

Server Problems

Post by mcmahos » Wed May 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Seems to be a common problems on maritime sites these days (!) but I've had an email from our server hosts advising of some slow scripts running on our site that are adversely affecting the rest of the server, and they've had to limit some actions. One consequence of this is that you may experience a '503' error saying 'Service unavailable'.

I'm not aware of any one part of the site causing this - it may simply be down to the number of members we now have. So bear with us over the next few days whilst we try to improve things.

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

mcmahos
Site Admin

Re: Server Problems

Post by mcmahos » Tue May 17, 2011 9:06 am

The problems the other day appear to have upset a table in the database related to searching. I'm putting the site offline at 10am this morning to try and speed up the recreating of a new search index. Might be off until late afternoon - gives you all a chance to cut the grass :)

Stuart
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue May 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Ok - sorry for the outage today, everyone. There were a few issues with the search facility not seeing some posts from last week, and the solution supposedly was to delete the search index and recreate a new one. However, it's taking an eternity to re-index it and still hasn't completed it. I'll try and continue it with the site 'up and running'. Failing that, bear with us for the next few days while a new hammer is procured!

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 pm

New hammer duly procured and used! Fingers crossed the search facility should now be working as expected. It might also appear to be a bit quicker and responsive. Please let me know if you experience any further issues.

Stuart

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue May 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Well done, Mr. Techie. Now, then, where did I leave that hammer? I'm sure I put it down just here ....... jings, things just seem to disappear ........ must have had visitors from the Northern territories of the North Ayrshire hinterlands ....
Angus Mac Kinnon

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Apologies - some more server problems tonight. I'm on the case. Bear with us.

Stuart

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:03 pm

you can also follow updates on Twitter by following @clydemaritime

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 am

Site is back up and running for now, though there may be further interruptions over the next few days. I'll try and give notice where possible but if the host restricts things again it might not be feasible. I'm also planning to upgrade the server over the next week or two which should improve matters. Remember you can follow us on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/clydemaritime or by following @clydemaritime

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Return to “Housekeeping”