Our First Day

A few simple rules and "How-to" articles to get the best from our site
mcmahos
Site Admin

Our First Day

Post by mcmahos » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Well, what can I say? WOW!

I was tentative when I sent the email out this morning announcing that ClydeMaritime was 'live'. Would it work? Would there be problems? Would folk like it?

Well, those worries have been largely unfounded. By 10pm tonight we have 79 members registered on the site, and whilst I've never been far from the computer all day, things have gone pretty smoothly. The range of posts across all the boards has been wonderful and varied - long may it continue.

As the boards develop we can add in some sub-forums if the users feel it would be beneficial - a couple of additions have already been made today to cover the Bristol Channel and Gibraltar.

On a housekeeping matter, two wee items. Firstly just a reminder that it would be good if you could create a signature and add your name in to it, so that we all know who we're talking to - not always easy with a cryptic username. Secondly, there's a known bug with the phpbb software that this forum runs on at present, whereby the "Keep me logged in" tick box doesn't have any effect. Every time you leave the forum you need to log back in. In one sense that's not a bad thing from a security point of view, but if you're in and out a lot it might become a hassle. Bear with us while we see if it can be worked around - it's not an area I've got great knowledge off.

So, thanks for all the messages of support, and for all the great pictures posted today. I'll sign off now and have a well-deserved glass or two of red wine.

Thanks

Stuart
cheers.jpg
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

davidships

Re: Our First Day

Post by davidships » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:15 am

Congratulations from the Deep Southeast

David
David Asprey

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:29 am

Good morning Stuart and thanks for all the "Fix Its" yesterday, at last we have a site that is responsive to its users and can be moulded to whatever shape they need (well, within reason, a sub-section on Eriskean Stalagmites might be one too far).
Re automatic log in, it's working OK for me, maybe its a Yorkshire privilege.
Attachments
LULEA(A).jpg
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

dmacleod

Post by dmacleod » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:47 am

All appears well up here in the Outer Hebrides(north of Eriskay!) Site looks good,well done all concerned.
Donald Macleod

Brianh

Post by Brianh » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:12 pm

well done to the Three Musketeers and D`Angus. Although one continues to hope that the database is not completely lost.

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:44 pm

yorkieman wrote:Good morning Stuart and thanks for all the "Fix Its" yesterday, at last we have a site that is responsive to its users and can be moulded to whatever shape they need (well, within reason, a sub-section on Eriskean Stalagmites might be one too far).
Re automatic log in, it's working OK for me, maybe its a Yorkshire privilege.

Jings, Yorkiemannie, you come anywhere near Eriskay (did I mention we were the Jewel of the Hebrides?) wearing that headgear and you will firstly be sheared, then dipped, then have one ear clipped with an I.D. Tag. :lol:
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Now look here BritishPower (still searching for your quote on Go Compare by the way), that was in sub sub sub zero Northern Sweden somewhere near Lulea, but have kept the gear in case ever wrecked on your Blessed Isle.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Iain49

Post by Iain49 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:06 pm

Ahoy

can someone tell me why I have a red line on the first two posts telling me I,m not authorised to look at them.

Iain49

willmurray

Post by willmurray » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Iain49 wrote:Ahoy

can someone tell me why I have a red line on the first two posts telling me I,m not authorised to look at them.

Iain49
Hi Iain,
Try logging in again. I had the same after registering. I think it is a protection in place to stop non-members from viewing attachments.

Cheers,
Will

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Correct. If you are not logged in you cannot view attachments, although you can view images linked to an external site with the [IMAGE] tag. Whilst it won't stop anyone from copying an image, by being a registered user it limits it a wee bit.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Iain49

Post by Iain49 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Ahoy

Thanks Will all appears OK now,
What ship is your buddy on just now ? I was down south and managed to get three of the fleet, one berthed at Marchwood, one in the Solent heading for Marchwood, and the third swinging onto Marchwood last Thursday.

Iain49

willmurray

Post by willmurray » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Iain,

He is on the Eddystone just now. Dont know where she is right now though.

Brgds,
Will

Iain49

Post by Iain49 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Will

I was on a cruise out of Southampton to the Baltic, I,m not sure at this time which of the fleet I took pics of as the berthed one was taken on the 8th as was the inbound one, The Hartland was taken on 22nd, you might wonder why I cant remember which ships I took, but I,m home after taking 1,232 digi images with two cameras over 16 days, not all ships I might add, now got a mammoth task of sorting them into some sort of order.
Have you informed Jimbo of the new site ? I could include the details as I send him Maritime Newsclippings.

Iain49

willmurray

Post by willmurray » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi Iain,

I havent told him as of yet, as I do not know if he has internet access. I will send him an email, and also a message on facebook, just in case he hsas not as of yet been informed.

Good luck with your sorting out!!!

Cheers,
Will

Iain49

Post by Iain49 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Will

I,ve now selected the pics I,m going to keep, kinda sorted Sugar from S..t, I,ve now got 891 pics to add to my collection.
Re Jimbo, he was alongside on 8th at Marchwood if he is aboard Eddystone. Hurst arrived as we made our way down the Solent passed Fawley, Hartland arr evening of 22nd.
Have you any idea the name of the refinery and tanker berth approx 1 hour from Oslo. and have you got a name for the Russian naval base approx 30 minutes from St Petersburg ?,

Iain49

Dougster

Post by Dougster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Kronschdat

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Slagen refinery is on west side of Oslo Fjord before you get to Horten.

Kronstadt the usual spelling for the Russian base/port?
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Tonga

Post by Tonga » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Well done to Stuart and the Team, very pleased to see your site up and running so well - these things are not easy and you seem to have got it off to a great start.

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Tonga wrote:Well done to Stuart and the Team, very pleased to see your site up and running so well - these things are not easy and you seem to have got it off to a great start.
Now there's a surprise! Nice to see you here. Hope to see a lot of your stuff.
Paul Strathdee

Tonga

Post by Tonga » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Deepol wrote:
Tonga wrote:Well done to Stuart and the Team, very pleased to see your site up and running so well - these things are not easy and you seem to have got it off to a great start.
Now there's a surprise! Nice to see you here. Hope to see a lot of your stuff.

Thanks Paul, it's always good to receive a nice welcome. :)

Return to “READ ME FIRST”