clydeport

For all things Clyde-related
time out images

clydeport

Post by time out images » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:54 am

anyone heard any rumours that clydeport has lost the contract to supply langannet with coal
Regards Thomas

kennymac

Re: clydeport

Post by kennymac » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Still the same number of lorries on the road this morning. However if it's true and only just happened it may take some time until they stop.

peter sommerville

Post by peter sommerville » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:18 pm

The majority of it is delivered by rail - it will be a big loss for Hunterston if true. I seem to remember it was a seven year contract they had so maybe its been up for grabs (no pun intended)

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:32 pm

Is there another similar terminal available within reasonable distance?

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:43 am

No more this then. Let's hope it's not true. Nowhere near enough really.
Attachments
Hunterston-aerial.jpg
Clydeport Magazine pic.
Paul Strathdee

peter sommerville

Post by peter sommerville » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:00 am

When Clydeport got the current contract they were up against Forth Port who had proposed some sort of floating facility on the Forth so maybe that plan has been dusted down - I hope not but they still have Northern Ireland and Manchester Ship Canal runs

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Don't know about Longannet -it is an LCPD opt in station so its meant to be continuing after 2015 but many of the opt out coal firing stations are now rapidly coming to the end of their 2008-2015 operating hour allowances. Tilbury has already stopped firing coal (it didn't get it from Hunterston anyway, as has Ironbridge, Cockenzie is close to finishing up and I think Didcot must be coming close to running down too. I think that they both got coal via Hunterston at one time. No expectation of any replacements as there is no prospect of any new coal fired plant being built in the UK or probably Western Europe. Substantially ''new coal is dead apart from the Far East / India / South America.

kylemore

Post by kylemore » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:28 pm

If this is true then there are implications for Kincardine-Alloa Railway re-opening the whole point of which was to relieve the Forth Bridge of coal traffic headed to the Power Station, if it is trans-shipped in the Forth then surely it will be transported direct to the Power Station's own jetty by barge/coaster and not by rail?

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Indeed this is true.
I do not know the ins and outs of it yet but the coal is now coming into Belfast. There have been a good lot of coal ships in already, a good few of 'Hunterston' size, and we have the biggest ship ever to visit Belfast coming up (Panamax, 9 hatches).
Initially we thought it was only the coal for Kilroot coming into Belfast (it used to be run over from Hunterston by coasters). I am not sure how the coal is getting to Scotland, perhaps it is cheaper (less port dues, pilot exemptions, no towage at Hunterston etc) to have the coal run from Belfast to Hunterston by a regular coaster service, I really do not know yet but I'm sure time will tell.

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm

have a look through this excellent photostream updated on a daily basis by a local professional photographer in Belfast to see pictures of many of the recent coal ships

http://www.flickr.com/photos/belfastship/

Bill Harvey

Post by Bill Harvey » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:03 pm

riverclyde_tug wrote:Indeed this is true.
I do not know the ins and outs of it yet but the coal is now coming into Belfast. There have been a good lot of coal ships in already, a good few of 'Hunterston' size, and we have the biggest ship ever to visit Belfast coming up (Panamax, 9 hatches).
Initially we thought it was only the coal for Kilroot coming into Belfast (it used to be run over from Hunterston by coasters). I am not sure how the coal is getting to Scotland, perhaps it is cheaper (less port dues, pilot exemptions, no towage at Hunterston etc) to have the coal run from Belfast to Hunterston by a regular coaster service, I really do not know yet but I'm sure time will tell.

One of the recent large visitors to Belfast, ID TIDE, only discharged part cargo then took the remainder to Londonderry, from where I am informed that she was the first of several planned. A percentage then goes across the border into Donegal.

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 pm

ID Tide has been only one of maybe 20 bulkers into Belfast in the past 5/6 weeks.
There have been lots of others maybe not quite the size of ships that would have berthed at Hunterston but I suppose this explains more ships. Of course some of the bulkers are bringing in animal feed which was the norm, coal has not been a cargo in Belfast until very recently. It has been confirmed by an agent that Clydeport have lost the coal contract.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:44 pm

As a total layman on the technicalities of this issue, why is it "cheaper" to take the coal to Belfast (many miles further away from Longannet, not to mention a sea-crossing) as opposed to Hunterston?
Allan Macmillan

peter sommerville

Post by peter sommerville » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 am

The same argument could be said for bringing coal from Australia/South Africa and South America instead of digging it out the ground in our own country

kennymac

Post by kennymac » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the coal coming into Hunterston not mostly open cast coal. Not any good for burning any where else but power stations, where it is pulverised before blown into the furnace. We do have plenty off coal in this country, coal too good to burn in power stations but thanks to an ex prime minister of the female sex the coal mines were all shut down.

Return to “CLYDE”