Coastal Isle damage

For all things Clyde-related
riverclyde_tug

Coastal Isle damage

Post by riverclyde_tug » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:35 pm

As reported yesterday Coastal Isle grounded at Garroch head at 11.8 kts. She was freed by the Svitzer tug Anglegarth and proceeded to Greenock under her own power.

Divers survey has revealed extensive damage to her plating and frames and she will be drydocked at Inchgreen for further inspection. If deemed safe she will be certified for a trip to be broken up, however due to the severity of the damage it looks like she will be scrapped in Inchgreen.

Jamie

Gerry Ward

Re: Coastal Isle damage

Post by Gerry Ward » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks for the information Jamie.

Seen today heading for Inchgreen.

Gerry
Attachments
costal isle 03-07-2012 11-17-42.jpg
costal isle 03-07-2012 11-18-53.jpg
costal isle 03-07-2012 11-21-52.jpg

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Gerry

Nice scoop pics thanks for the reply.
Thought it may have generated a bit more interest and discussion!!!

Jamie

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 am

Hi Jamie

Thanks for the original update. I thought there would have been a bit more discussion as well, not just here, but on other forums, and in the media.

Will be interesting to see the outcome of the MAIB investigation and whether it is a similar cause to some other recent unplanned beachings - ie fatigue and drink, or if there was a mechanical failure, which looking at the AIS seems somewhat unlikely.

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Am a bit surprised that she may be considered a scrapping job as she is not really all that old. Frames and platework are a relatively easy 'fix' - especially if it is limited to the fore end and there was no damage to stern, shafting, prop, rudder, or potential upset to internal machinery. If scrapping is a serious consideration, she must have sustained more extensive, and thereby costlier, damages.

Also, insofar as she was able to make her own way to the drydock for diver inspection and possible subsequent docking and repair works, all this would suggest to me that she must remain relatively seaworthy despite the damages and is not 'open' to the sea, alternatively well within the capability of her pumps to handle.

Wonder how that they will manage to apportion blame on the injinoors this time ? :lol:
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Angus, them injinoors failed to 'go astern' fast enough as the bow hit the rocks. Definitely their fault. :(

p.s. maybe she just needs a new coat of paint on her bum, get yerself down to Inchgreen.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

riverman

Post by riverman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:26 pm

I wonder if fatigue was a factor?
Can someone more knowledgable than me explain the hours of work rules. Was there not rules brought in where a vessel had to go to a layby berth after so many hours worked so the crew could be properly rested eg. the skipper and mate.
The reason I ask is when I got my certificate revalidated and returned to home and middle trade in 1992 to find all 2nd. mates had been done away with Lapthorns anyway and only carried a skipper and mate and three boys on deck from the Cape Verde Islands one also acting as cook, no engineers we did the engines changed oil etc. with the result the skipper and I were deed on our feet, fortunately I was only relieving the mate for four weeks and could not get off quick enough! never to return.
As I had a HGV licence I went on to drive HGV's and was on better wages than I was as mate with Lapthorn and was strictly governed by driver's hours regulations. If I worked the hours on a HGV as I did with Lapthorn, I would be promptly arrested, jailed and the key thrown away, but there again at sea there is no other pedestrians or road users to contend with only land masses to run ashore on and ships to run into. :D
paul hunter

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Yes, Paul, that is the theory, and most reputable shipowners/managers insist that the hours of work(rest) regulations are followed on board their ships, and the crew increased where necessary. However, these owners/managers are vastly outnumbered nowadays by cheapscape, fly by night characters who do not give a damn about any regulations, and bully there employees, including Masters, into operating completely illegally, while flogging the returns to try to hoodwink the Port State Inspectors. Where small feeder ships such as this are running round the coast, in and out of various ports, loading and discharging, day and night, there is no way they are going to comply with the hours of work(rest) regulations, and this is where the fatigue problem occurs. Until some body such as the IMO intervene (and they are looking into it), then not much will change, as, if the Master for example, complains, it is very simple just to sack him and employ someone else who is not so fussy.
david watson

riverman

Post by riverman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks for the reply David, it was certainly a sad state of affairs when the mate or skipper had to slap his face every now and again to stay awake when on watch while the other got his head down for an all to brief five hours after being on their feet for the previous twenty odd hours. :(
paul hunter

dougie-coull

Post by dougie-coull » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Bound for Dublin.

StewartM

Post by StewartM » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Does this mean she is going to be broken up in Dublin or is the damage not as bad as originally indicated ?
Stewart D Mungin

peter sommerville

Post by peter sommerville » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I was told that she is not going to be scrapped - she has bottom damage about one third of her length.

StewartM

Post by StewartM » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks Peter.
Stewart D Mungin

tonycannon

Post by tonycannon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 pm

I saw her in drydock in Dublin in mid-July - couldn't see what was going on though!
Tony Cannon

Gerry Ward

Post by Gerry Ward » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 am

Gerry

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu May 30, 2013 9:42 am

MAIB report now released: http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/inv ... l_isle.cfm

Who was on lookout? No one!
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Return to “CLYDE”