Balmoral Clyde-bound

For all things Clyde-related
SCameron

Balmoral Clyde-bound

Post by SCameron » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:34 am

Waverley Steam Navigation Company's Motor Vessel Balmoral currently (0700 12 April 2012) in the Irish Sea, north west of the Isle of Man heading for the Clyde (arrival estimated midday). This will be the first time in a number of years that both WSN-owned vessels willl be on the Clyde at the same time. In the next few weeks the vessels will be drydocked together at Garvel Drydock, Greenock for their annual pre-season overhaul, hull cleaning, inspection, etc. This will be the first occasion in the 27 years since Balmoral was acquired as a running mate for Waverley that they have been drydocked together - also Balmoral's first ever visit to Garvel (if I'm remembering correctly). Picture shows their first ever meeting on the Clyde, berthed outside WSN's offices and workshop at 36 Lancefield Quay, Glasgow in 1985, just after Balmoral had been acquired and brought round to the Clyde from Dundee where she had been lying idle for some time following the ending of the floating pub / restaurant role under Craig Inns Ltd.
Attachments
Lancefiekd Quay 1985 001 with Balmoral.jpg

Deepol

Re: Balmoral Clyde-bound

Post by Deepol » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:08 pm

There apparently was a slight misunderstanding when the Herald thought she was making the TITANIC cruise..........
Paul Strathdee

Calum McCulloch

Post by Calum McCulloch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Here she is passing Innellan this afternoon - welcome home!
Attachments
P4120969is8.jpg

time out images

Post by time out images » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:37 pm

nice picture calum, i ventured up river this afternoon for afew pictures

Balmoral
DSC_0219 (Large).jpg
DSC_0241 (Large).jpg
Regards Thomas

time out images

Post by time out images » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Balmoral
DSC_0270 (Large).jpg
DSC_0293 (Large).jpg
Regards Thomas

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:38 pm

A few shots of mv Balmoral (the one that's not doing the Titanic thing this weekend) on her first visit to Greenock's James Watt Dock. To the left is Caledonian MacBrayne's newest vessel, mv Finlaggan, in the Garvel Graving Dock undergoing a pre-season spruce-up. Balmoral and Waverley are due to be stemmed into the Garvel when Finlaggan departs, sometime in the next week, the first time that the two will have shared a drydock.
Attachments
Balmoral in JWD 1.jpg
Balmoral's first visit to James Watt Dock, Finlaggan in Garvel Graving Dock
Balmoral in JWD 2.jpg
Balmoal in James Watt Dock, Greenock 14th April 2012
Balmoral in JWD 4.jpg
Balmoal in James Watt Dock, Greenock 14th April 2012

Magoonigal

Post by Magoonigal » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:23 pm

At least they are both being docked before the start of the Season this year but with Waverley not starting until the 1st June and Balmoral not starting until the 15th will they make enough money to cover the overheads this year??
Paul Hood.

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Magoonigal wrote:At least they are both being docked before the start of the Season this year but with Waverley not starting until the 1st June and Balmoral not starting until the 15th will they make enough money to cover the overheads this year??
Paul,

Doubt if anyone can answer your point. It is certainly becoming an extremely short revenue earning season. The economics of the early season (April to mid June) have been great but the balance has swung against them in recent years due, in no small measure, to fuel cost escalation. Its a while since I've bought heavy oil by the 30,000 litre tanker load (for work purposes) and I was shocked to see at one point during the winter just passed (at least I hope its in the past!) that the price has risen to 72 pence per itre. At that level it would be getting on for £7000 in fuel alone to run Waverley for a typical 10 hour day excursion. it has certainly made some of the early season activities into unsustainable loss makers given the midweek loadings that can be achieved outside the school holiday season. It is too be hoped that neither Balmoral or Waverley will loose revenue though mechanical fault as they have in recent years - weather losses will be enough to contend with. It is arguable that some lost early season days have actually reduced revene losses but they do absolutely nothing for the all important cash flow situation. There is no greater threat to these ships' continued operation than a sustained disruption to cash flow such as happened last year. Another of those may be fatal.

SC

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Believe that Waverley is on her way downriver now to join her. For someone who is a stranger to the area, is there a vantage point from where you can get good photos of them both in the Garvel?

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:17 pm

I believe you can get good access now from the head of the JWD, and walking round - have also seen a few photos from the river side of Garvel which is currently derelict land. Haven't actually done it myself though - others can hopefully advise - possibly Doug Coull.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

dougie-coull

Post by dougie-coull » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:25 pm

alasdairmac wrote:Believe that Waverley is on her way downriver now to join her. For someone who is a stranger to the area, is there a vantage point from where you can get good photos of them both in the Garvel?
Sorry I've only just read this message :(

There is a mound to the right of the Garvel entrance and you can get some shots from the top.

A few of mine form this morning - http://www.dougie-coull-photography.co. ... 2012-04-18
Cheers,
Dougie

River Clyde - AIS Sharer ID: cX

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DougieCoullPics
Web: http://www.Dougie-Coull-Photography.com

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm

How do you get to the mound Dougie? Is it on the spur of land between the Garvel and JWD entrances, or shoreside adjacent to the Misco warehouse.

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 pm

There's a new roundabout at the Sugar Warehouses which takes you down to JWD and the spur to the Great Harbour. Loads of parking at it. Opposite end to the Misco walkway - you won't see much from there unless something's moving in/out of JWD.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks Stuart. Dougie has given me tip to go round to Garvel gate which u can reach by car, and where there is good vantage point from top of mound of rubble ! Will try the Misco shore side ad well.

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Have had to postpone my trip through to the Garvel. Does anyone know how long Waverley and Balmoral are due to be in there for ? Thanks

alasdairmac

Balmoral Work in Progress

Post by alasdairmac » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:09 pm

A couple of shots of work being done on Balmoral at Garvel today. Apologies to the old lady of the sea if these close-ups show just one or two more of her wrinkles and dents as she would like !

PS and thanks to Dougie Coull for the tip on where to go to get them.
Attachments
DSC03750.jpg
OK, he can paint, but can he spell? Time will tell.
DSC03747.jpg
Looks like a whole plate is being replaced

dougie-coull

Re: Balmoral Work in Progress

Post by dougie-coull » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 pm

alasdairmac wrote: PS and thanks to Dougie Coull for the tip on where to go to get them.
Nice shots Alasdair and pleased it all worked out for you.
Cheers,
Dougie

River Clyde - AIS Sharer ID: cX

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DougieCoullPics
Web: http://www.Dougie-Coull-Photography.com

Return to “CLYDE”