Glasgow ...The Port at Work

For all things Clyde-related
Colin Campbell

Glasgow ...The Port at Work

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:29 pm

A view from the past.Its Queens Dock basin looking north towards Pointhouse Road and the University.Moss Hutchesons AMARNA (1949 Harland & Wolff Govan) is being canted by Clyde Shipping Cos FLYING FOAM with another CSC tug on her stern. She had a spell in 1967 on charter to Cunard and for the time was renamed ASSYRIA. Sold to Greeks in 1975 she eventually went to the breakers at Gadani Beach 1984.
The large crane in the background is one of two coal cranes in Queens Dock
Attachments
Amarna & Flying Foam.jpg
Amarna & Flying Foam

Colin Campbell

Re: Glasgow ...The Port at Work

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Coming alongside Yorkhill Quay where one was more liable to see the ships of Anchor Line the CHERRYLEAF came in to await her turn to go into Govan Drydock.
Attachments
Cherryleaf.jpg
Cherryleaf A82

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Taken from on board the Glasgow Corporation Sludge vessel Garroch Head at the entrance to King George V Dock we see the other sludge vessel Dalmarnock canting to set herself on the Shieldhall Sewage Work berth to load for the dumping grounds off the island of Bute.
Attachments
GH Dalmarnock KGV.jpg
Dalmarnock

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Last sludge carrier built for operation on the Clyde was named after the dumping grounds off Garroch Head on the island of Bute. Seen here returing upriver with her "passengers" relaxing on deck. Glasgow Corporation started offering trips on their ships to soldiers wounded in WW1 and this continued, tothe benefit of Social clubs and Pensioers Clubs etc. Built in 1978 she operated until the directive from the EU banned the practice of dumping waste at sea in 1999 when she was sold foreign.
Attachments
garroch head stern  sailing.jpg
Garroch Head

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Taken at the Stobcross Crane while she was in for lifts this unusual heavy lift ship was actually two Dutch coasters joined together. the port ship was built in 1957 as HADA II while the starboard ship was the 1956 HERMES. They were joined together in 1969 to form the GLORIA SIEDERUM and visited Glasgow on several ocassions. Sold 1983 she became a diving maintenance ship.
Attachments
Gloria Siederum 2.JPG
Gloria Siederum

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Leaving Merklands Lairage after unloading her livestock from Ireland the Fresian Express was one of several Holland Stroomboot conversions in service with Livestock Express.The lairage dated from 1907 and had its own railway sidings where the cattle etc, after reqired rest ,could be dispatched around the country.Fairfields shipyard in the background
Attachments
Frisian Express.JPG
Frisian Express

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 am

Brilliant stuff, Colin, keep them coming.
SC

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Taken in Princes Dock the Alexander Shpg Co(Houlder Bros) Westbury. Burntisland built in 1960.and after five years under the Greek flag she went to the breakers at Gadani Beach in 1983
Attachments
Westbury.jpg

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Would not normally subject you to such a poor photo but my excuse is one will never see the like again.Taken from the QM11 as she cants off the Govan Drydocks the view upriver shows on the left the newsprint carrier ISAAC CARTER with the ore carrier RIPON ahead.On the right is Harrisons ADMINISTRATOR some forgotten coasters and Scottish Ship Mgts CAPE HOWE at the General Terminus
Attachments
Isaac Carter Ripon Administrator Cape Howe.jpg

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Moving into Yorkhill Basin the JUPITER joins the mission ship ANASTASIS
Attachments
Anastasis & Jupiter.jpg
Anastasis and Jupiter

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 pm

The 1967 Dutch built FIRETHORN of S W Coe & Co Ltd discharges alongside Meadowside Granary
Attachments
Firethorn.jpg
Firethorn

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:04 pm

In this 1974 view taken in King George V Dock Blue Funnels MEMNON sporting a SAF Marine funnel loads for South Africa. She transferred to Elder Dempsters in 1977 and was renamed OWERRI. I Think she gave up the name Memnon in 1975 fo a new built and was STENTOR for a couple of years 1975/7
Attachments
Memnon1222.jpg
Memnon

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:13 pm

I believe this was the largest grain cargo at that date for Meadowside. Taken from the Prince Ivanhoe on her introductory evening cruise we had to go alongside Merklands Wharf to allow the Yugoslav NIN 13768grt the clear river after coming round the bend at Whiteinch
Attachments
Meadowside (7).jpg
Nin

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:26 pm

From September 1978 the RANGATIRA is heading for Harland & Wolffs basin Govan.Clyde Dock Engineering Co were to ready her for a spell as an accommodation ship at Sullem Voe.Built by Swan Hunter SB Ltd on the Tyne for Union SS Co of New Zealand for the inter-island service Wellington/Lyttleton in 1971 she returned to the UK and was used for a time at Loch Kishorn as an accomodation ship and of course went to the Falklands in 1982. Sold to Greeks 1986 she was QUEEN M for a spell.
Attachments
Rangatira (2).jpg
Rangatira

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Dating from June 1966 the view from the entrance to Queens Dock shows ships being laid up due to the Seamens Strike.
The Everards ship is SENIORITY The Bulk carrier REMBRANT two Elder Dempster together DUMURRA and DEGEMA, Moss Hutchisons TABOR is there as is ARAGONA, SUNRISE and PENNYWORTH
Attachments
Seamens Strike.jpg
Queend Dock Seamens Strike

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Colin

Thanks for posting these. Hoping there's plenty more to come. I'm sad to say that I'm too young to remember those scenes and love seeing them. :)

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Unfortunately, unlike Stuart, I am old enough to remember them Colin. Very many thanks for re-kindling my memories of our great river in its heyday
and looking forward to what's to come.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:49 am

Taken from Meadowside Quay the Greek ore carrier PHAEDON makes her way upriver for General Terminus assisted by one on Steel & Bennies tugs (Cruiser perhaps?). Originally she was CLARKEDEN built at Sunderland 1958. Think the coaster alongside Meadowside was the GRETCHEN WESTON . Presumably the Stulken derrick visible in the background would be on one of the series on IBN! type vessels being built in Fairfields at this time .Phaedon lasted until 1982 when she was broken up in Split having been the Yugoslavian Berane since 1974.
Attachments
Phaedon.jpg
Phaedon

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:53 am

Thought I had put both views together...Sorry
Attachments
Phaedon X Clarkeden.jpg
Phaedon

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Again taken from Meadowside Quay the Manila registered PUERTO PRINCESSA makes her way downriver. Originally built as Ville de Rotterdam in 1970. She was broken up in 1984 in Taiwan. photo taken Aug 1983
Attachments
Puerto Prince.jpg

daveyallan

Post by daveyallan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Some great photos. I like Stuart am too you to remember these scenes but working on the Clyde now and seeing some of the scenes of the part are a stark contrast. I enjoyed with particular interest the post about the Rangatira as my father worked on the Baltica when they were based in Sullem Voe.

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Colin Campbell wrote:Taken from Meadowside Quay the Greek ore carrier PHAEDON makes her way upriver for General Terminus assisted by one on Steel & Bennies tugs (Cruiser perhaps?). Originally she was CLARKEDEN built at Sunderland 1958. Think the coaster alongside Meadowside was the GRETCHEN WESTON . Presumably the Stulken derrick visible in the background would be on one of the series on IBN! type vessels being built in Fairfields at this time .Phaedon lasted until 1982 when she was broken up in Split having been the Yugoslavian Berane since 1974.
Not Cruiser- Campaigner possibly.
Paul Strathdee

duncanwilson

Post by duncanwilson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Many thanks for your postings. I have a vague memory of the General Terminus Quay, but that is it.
I do recall walking through the Finneston Tunnel on a couple of occasions just out of interest. I walked through the Tunnel and then back again.The other time I walked through the Tunnel and took the ferry back.
I also recall doing a return trip on the ferry, again out of interest.
Keep up the good work.

Dennis Maccoy

Post by Dennis Maccoy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:50 pm

My first acquisition on arriving in Glasgow to continue my naval architecture studies in 1968 was not text books, but a Dock Pass – but I don’t remember ever being challenged to produce it. With the aid of the old harbour tunnel, Blue Trains and, later, a car I spent many pleasant days wandering around Glasgow and further afield taking photographs. Some of my early efforts below.
Attachments
Cruiser 2 November 1968_1.jpg
Cruiser, in Queens Dock I think, 2 November 1968.
Lion, Glasgow, 12 October 1968_1.jpg
Lion, 12 October 1968, with the beginings of the Kingston Bridge in the background
Atlantic Faith, Glasgow, 4 June 1969_1.jpg
Atlantic Faith, General Terminus Quay, 4 June 1969
Regards,

Dennis

Dennis Maccoy

Post by Dennis Maccoy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:39 pm

Two more of my early efforts. Would that digital photography was available forty-odd years ago – I always felt it necessary to retain film against the possibility of something more interesting appearing after film stock was used up.
Attachments
Hertford, Glasgow, 28 September 1969_1.jpg
Hertford, Plantation Quay (?), 28 September 1969.
Antilochous, Glasgpw, 2 October 1969_2_1.jpg
Antilochous, King George V Dock, 2 October 1969.
Regards,

Dennis

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Colin Campbell wrote:Moving into Yorkhill Basin the JUPITER joins the mission ship ANASTASIS
Jupiter ended up as Black Prince did she not?

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Think the idea was that in summer months she sailed as Jupiter on the regular ferry service to Norway then come wintertime she went cruising as the Black Watch.

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55 am

Dennis Maccoy wrote:My first acquisition on arriving in Glasgow to continue my naval architecture studies in 1968 was not text books, but a Dock Pass – but I don’t remember ever being challenged to produce it. With the aid of the old harbour tunnel, Blue Trains and, later, a car I spent many pleasant days wandering around Glasgow and further afield taking photographs. Some of my early efforts below.

Think these views are the REAL MACCOY. Excellent. Thank you. That view of Lion at 38 Lancefield Quay is very rare. As a one time emloyee of Burn&Laird I can recall only one occassion she came all the way up river after having been unable to enter Ardrosssan due to high winds. Recall a heated debate followed as to what to do with the cars on board with no ramp available,what was the point of coming to Glasgow. Later similar weather disruptions after consultations with CalMac allowed her to use Gourock.I did attend one of those mornings at Gourock alas without a camera.
She did "meet the public" in Queens Dock before entering service and of course spent some time in the hands of Clyde Dock Engr following the engine room fire episode this time in Harland & Wolls basin Govan.

Always thought the CRUISER was a powerful looking tug.Think you are in Princes Dock there. Two storey sheds... I think Queens Dock sheds were only single storey. Colin

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 am

Taken in the days when visiting warships were open to the public at weekends this was taken in KGV Dock Glasgow as the German Warship Schleswig Holstein moves out the dockto the sound of "Brown Girl in the Ring" blasting out over her tannoy
Think its the Dundee built City of Hull on the other side of the dock one of the last of three sisters built for the great City Line
Attachments
FGS Schleswig Holstein.JPG
FGS Schleswig Holstein

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:21 am

Three Dutch destroyers at the very top of KGV Dock on the same weekend. Didnt record their names at the time but with the the magic of this internet I now know they are three of eight Friesland Class named after cities and districts in Holland D814 is LIMBURG... D816 is DRENTHE and D818 is ROTTERDAM. These three were among seven of the class sold to Peru
Attachments
Dutch warships.jpg

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 am

Taken the same weekend in KGV Dock ...Canadian HMCS HURON
Attachments
HMCS Huron.jpg

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:55 pm

One needs to be a certain age to remember the Clyde Trust (Skye Navy) ships in that "redlead" colour. Berthed accross the top of the dock is a hopper and alongside the diving bell. The Clyde Shipping tugs are the Flying Merlin and inboard the Flying Witch. The grey funnel ship is ROBERT DUNDAS one of two store carriers regularly seen about. Built 1938 by Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd her sister was Robert Middleton. The other vessel is SUNRANA Norwegian owned but working for Saguenay Terminals. They operated, a service to/from Canada their own ships all having SUN prefixed names Sunhill..Sunamelia...green hulls and silver painted masts/derricks.Recall also Ropners had two ships in and out regularly at this time Deerpool and Daleby nice looking "tramps" working a liner service. Registered West Hartlepool I think.
Attachments
Clyde Trust.jpg
Queens Dock Sept 1962

Dennis Maccoy

Post by Dennis Maccoy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for the tip on the transit sheds Colin. I might now be able to locate some of my other early slides more accurately.

Dennis.
Regards,

Dennis

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Three at Meadowside.
Attachments
Arcamare-MeadowsideGranaryMarch1974--004.jpg
Arcamare in March 1974
Warkworth-Skymnos-Meadowside75.jpg
Skymnos, formerly Dalgleish's Warkworth in 1975
LandguardPoint-Meadowside1985.jpg
Landguard Point in 1985
Paul Strathdee

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Taken from Bridge Wharf steamer going down river and readied myself for a photo of approaching coaster. Early days and I didnt quite appreciated how quickly the two ships would pass. Not much of a shot I thought at the time but now view it differenly and glad I kept it, Everard coaster deep loaded and with hatch boards off ready for discharge.
Attachments
2012-01-12_0.JPG
Everards coaster

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:50 pm

1989 and looking over to the Broomielaw ....now a pedestrian walkway and no longer used by shipping. George Wylies sculpture "The Paper Boat" is prophetically anchored in the river outside the "Pool". The James Watt Street office of the grandly titled General Council of Brittish Shipping.Where many thousands of seafarers would sign on betwen ships.This was now the time of few jobs and great numbers of men signing on in every port for pool money so much so that the shipowners could no longer afford the costs and shipowners began to leave the Federation. The Pool itself would soon close ,and the rest is history.
Attachments
2012-01-12_2.JPG
Broomielaw. Shipping Federation and "Paper Boat"

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:14 pm

From 1980 at Stobcross Crane this Russian heavy load dock ship and ro/ro built in Finland 1978 called to collect turbine machinery built in Clydebank for Russian pipelines. At the time Mrs Thatcher wasnt happy at all about the shipment and there was a question whether it would go ahead or not
Attachments
2012-01-12_30.JPG
Stakhanovets Yermolenko

peter sommerville

Post by peter sommerville » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:27 am

More Glasgow scenes
Attachments
kgv 8.jpg
Visiting warships at KGV
kgv 13.jpg
Heavy lift at No 10 berth
docks 8.jpg
Busy scene at riverside quay - bulks and bags

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Taken from Yorkhill Quay looking over to Harland & Wolffs Basin the oil rig support vessel FASCADAIR sets off assisted by Clyde Shipping Tugs. Flying Falcon and ????. The Isle of Man ship is Lady of Man. Photo dated 21 March 1981
Attachments
2012-01-12_45.JPG
Fascadair

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Leaving Princes Dock in 1966 is the East African National Shipping Line HARAMBEE.Registered in Mombasa Kenya she was originally owned by Hamburg Sud from 1953/1965 as Belgrano
Attachments
2012-01-12_56.JPG
Harambee

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Bound for Kingston Dock right in the heart of Glasgow, Macbraynes LOCHDUNVEGAN passes the Clyde Trust Works at Renfrew where some buoys are visible as is one of their hoppers ....just above her bows, the yard of Hugh MacLean & Sons Ltd and Silcoks Mill over whats probably Braehead Shopping Centre today. Renfrew Ferry also gets into the view.
Attachments
2012-01-13_24.JPG
Lochdunvegan

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 pm

In 1992 the International Whaling Commission held its world conference in Glasgow amd those for and against send a ship to outside the SECC but Greenpeace captured the newspaper headlines by occuping the whalecater by putting a man in the crows nest of the catcher while another man chained himself to the harpoon gun
Attachments
2012-01-13_35.JPG
Whalecatcher and SOLO

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Greenpeace supporter chained to harpoon gun
Attachments
2012-01-13_32.JPG

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Greenpeace ship SOLO at Stobcross Quay
Attachments
2012-01-12_48.JPG
Solo

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am

British & Continental Shipping operated a service to the Continent from Mavisbank Quay in Glasgow and here is their Bittern leaving the berth opposite Stobcross Crane. Called their ships after birds Egret /Ardetta etc. Built 1949 Camell Laird she was sold 1966 and lasted to 1975 as Maldive Express. Broken up Pakistan.
Listen carefully........I think I can still hear the SWISH SWISH of that propeller!!!!
Attachments
Bittern.JPG
Bittern

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:20 pm

David MacBraynes LOCH ARD in Princes Dock and the unusual funnel colours was because she was chartered to a new firm trying their luck against Burns & Laird Lines Irish services. This was a six month charter to Irish & Scottish Steam Navigation Co. but I dont think it even lasted that long. Built 1955 by Ferguson Bros Port Glasgow she went to Greek owners in 1971
Attachments
Loch Ard.JPG
Loch Ard in Princes Dock

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Brandon Bay and Flying Scout at the launch of Selkirk Settler from Fairfield Yard
Attachments
Brandon Bay & Flying Scout.JPG
Launch day Selkirk Settler

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Queens Dock ,very top of the South Basin ,today, probably the main entrance to SECC. The north Rotunda is just visible. The Swedish ship IRENE in a view from the summer of 1964
Attachments
Irene.JPG
Irene... Queens Dock

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Ore carrier Mesna outward bound for Seven Islands on 29 August 1964
Attachments
Mesna.JPG
Mesna Ore Carrier

Colin Campbell