For all things Clyde-related
JunoJupiterSaturn

Re: Scandanavian Streaker

Post by JunoJupiterSaturn » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:01 pm

What, where, when and who said?

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:51 pm

I keep expecting to see a big Swedish blonde running starkers across the screen ....... will someone please change the title :roll:

Oh my gosh, don't watch this before you have your Hot Dog
http://lifecruiser.com/archive/swedish- ... -streaker/
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Yes shes been sold to Denmark, to be towed there soon.

Magoonigal

Post by Magoonigal » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:55 pm

TE, Please don't consider the lack of replies as a lack of interest in your postings.

It has prompted a confirmation of her sale and to date nearly 90 of the Membership have read it and, I trust found the thread interesting and informative.
Paul Hood.

Magoonigal

Post by Magoonigal » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:22 am

Mmmm I checked those ones out. Trouble is I'm a couple of pages behind at the moment and I'm trying to catch up!!

But I'm away for 16 days from Monday, and I hate to think how many pages I'll be behind then...........

Keep up the Good Work!!
Paul Hood.

Patrick Hill

Post by Patrick Hill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:56 am

Tugster Ecosse wrote:It makes you wonder if its worth posting at all.
TE
If I only posted if I knew I'd get a response I wouldn't post at all. :lol:

I post, if no-one views or comments no big deal, if they do it's a bonus. Some people get pleasure just viewing the photos etc.. - I get the pleasure thinking someone, somewhere might like what I post, even if the don't say so.

StewartM

Post by StewartM » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Well said Patrick, sometimes there are other reasons for not replying, like the subject matter being too close to home.
Stewart D Mungin

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:14 pm

I have to say I agree with Tugster.

It takes time and effort to post pics and research some info to post. To comment or thank someone takes very little time at all.

Everyone may moan and groan about Clydesite and Tugtalk but the daily activity on there is far higher than here. A real shame when there are so many members now on Clyde Maritime.

StewartM

Post by StewartM » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:14 am

** Deleted as per request **
Last edited by StewartM on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart D Mungin

neilking

Post by neilking » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:01 pm

riverclyde_tug wrote:To comment or thank someone takes very little time at all.
Yes but an insincere response just for the sake of it is not much better than no response at all IMO.

I never accept invitations on Flickr to add my pictures to these "Post one, comment three" groups because it just leads to my recent activity becoming cluttered with bland insincere remarks like "Great" "Really Nice!" etc.

(For those not aware, Flickr is a photo posting site with the facility to comment on other people's pictures.)

Having said all that, I would have thought the news the Jupiter had been sold abroad would have provoked more comment ...

time out images

Post by time out images » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:47 pm

what i have noticed about this site is that 99percent of the membership don't seem to interested in any shipping below greenock i might be wrong in saying that, i hope i am, after all the site is called clydemaritime which covers a huge area.

and as for commenting on any of my pictures if someone comments I appreciate it, if they don't i wont lose any sleep over it,

at the end of the day i take ship pictures for my own pleasure hobby which i enjoy doing,but i would like to think other people enjoy looking at them as well after all there will be not one member on this site who can cover the whole of the Clyde area.As well as posting them on here i also post them on shipais.com, trawler pictures, and my own flickr
Regards Thomas

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:41 pm

Stewart

No one made you choose to post under your own name. Make one up and discuss anything you want.

You are out of order and have no right or reason to do as you have. I would like to see Stuart introduce new guidlines to stop members from 'outing' others who wish to remain annonymous.

time out images

Post by time out images » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:55 pm

i am with tugster on this matter, he should not have been named in anyway, in these days of facebook twitter and things like that, many a person have been sacked for putting info on sites.
Regards Thomas

StewartM

Post by StewartM » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:31 pm

TE, I've done as you asked as a goodwill gesture.

Moderator's comment

TE's response which quoted this message, also deleted! And message edited
Stewart D Mungin

ronfras

Post by ronfras » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:49 pm

having read the thread it seems we have got off track.
does anone know who has been awarded the towing contract?

RF

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Not sure yet RF I will post when I hear.

ronfras

Post by ronfras » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:04 pm

wonder if it could be a towage company on the clyde????? lol

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:08 pm

I dont understand how they will make any money from scrapping the ship after towing and cutting it up. They must be getting a very good rate somewhere or else a tug passing is going to pick it up.

StewartM

Post by StewartM » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Tugster Ecosse wrote:
Thank you for your "goodwill" You had no need to post what you did. Your reasoning behind it mystifies me.
Your are the one that is out of order in the previous posting and in my opinion your latest posting to me.
TE
OK guys, now the steam has been let off, I will apologise to anyone I have offended or upset.

My reason for the first posting was to say I couldn't comment on something which, as far as I was concerned, was not in the public domain, it wasn't apathy or anything like that. Just as some of you are using psuedonyms, I have chosen to use my real name, so for that subject I couldn't comment.
Stewart D Mungin

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Right guys. I've been out all day and haven't seen the original message, but by the sound of it above can I take it things are sorted out amicably?

Online forums like this, as they get bigger, will always have a large number of 'sleeping members' - those which view but never post. It's a way of life I'm afraid. Out of 800 members only 260 have actually ever posted a message. But many of those other 540 visit regularly. I'm as guilty as many in that I rarely comment on messages on any forum, simply because I do not have the time, but I do enjoy viewing the photos or threads. So please don't stop posting on that account.

Also, on communities like this though, it is easy for some folks to know 'who is who' because of work or personal connections or even from other forums. It is generally accepted as good internet etiquette that if a member uses a psuedonym then that name is used whilst replying. Occasionally in the heat of the moment the odd real name can slip out which is what I believe has happened here. Issuing guidelines won't stop it happening. I'm glad that in almost a year of this forum's existence that it has only happened once before. So not a major issue I think.

And to take things back on topic - it will be sad to see the streakers disappear, but realistically, they've had their day. Had Gourock-Dunoon remained a vehicle service they 'may' have had a bit longer in service, but not much. I don't think they are worth preserving as they are not 'that' unique. Far better to keep a space at the Riverside Museum for the Waverley when the day arrives that she costs too much to run.

Stuart
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:16 pm

I have to take issue with the Heid Honcho, Master Techie, Real Ale Ardrussanite for the shocking bad spelling example, i.e. psuedonym in lieu of pseudonym ...... just cannot get quality staff these days for heading up websites ...... :lol:
Angus Mac Kinnon

Arran1

Post by Arran1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:11 pm

Dear Shipmates,

Just for info,

There is a very valid reason why only 260 out of 800 members actually post. Many get ripped to shreds from certain quarters - (especially that really bad internet idea - the anonymous poster with impunity) - for reasons that as an earlier poster says mystify him.

This thread is an EXCELLENT example - of why members don't post. A lot of staff, crew, managers and industry professionals keep an eye on various maritime sites as they are BRILLIANT at scuttlebut and often first for breaking news.

The tragedy is that a lot of info., of what really goes on behind the scenes is not posted about because it will either offend one person or upset another. Then come the sharp unpleasant comments from the anonymous posters.

This is a lesson learnt form the internet by those who have been stung before.

As far as MV Jupiter goes, there was an offer for MV Jupiter by a Scottish based preservation effort. No warning was given by CMAL or their ship brokers of an 'offers by' date, and given the ship wasn't due to be handed back from CalMac to CMAL until the end of THIS month, there seemed a little time to survey etc. It came as a shock, but not necessarily a surprise by those in the know for the ship to be flogged off overseas quickly. Yes we knew you were interested, but we sold it overseas!

As for any effort at preserving or utilising state owned tonnage after CalMac use, the path seems clear now. Any surplus vessels will be left to rot at Roseneath then scrapped rather than risk any other organisation in UK waters getting their hands on old CalMac vessels.

Therefore, please don't expect any change anytime soon to the new order of things for Clyde tonnage. The order of the day is to get rid of it as scrap.

Regards,

Arran1

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:22 pm

This thread is now closed, and personal threats will not be tolerated. If you wish to continue to discuss the possible sale of Jupiter to a Scandinavian company for recycling please start a new thread.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Return to “CLYDE”