HMS Aletes

Maunsel

HMS Aletes

Post by Maunsel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:24 pm

HMS Aletes was originally an American Diesel yacht built in in 1932 by the Bath Iron Works in the State of Maine. She was 190' LOA and was designed by Henry Gielow as the last of 5 identical speculative stock yachts (Placida, Sylvia, Kenkora II, Trudione). When Gielow's firm went into bankruptcy, with this particular vessel remaining unsold, the yard took possession, and she languished there for the remainder of the Depression until acquired by the USN for transfer to the RN in the early part of WWII. She reportedly survived the war and lasted at least until 1961.

For some reason, information on this vessel is exceedingly difficult to acquire. I suspect a name change may be the reason. Any information would be most enthusiastically appreciated.

Magoonigal

Re: HMS Aletes

Post by Magoonigal » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Very little I'm afraid but it might help.......

ALETES. FY 045.
American Yacht on Lend-lease as an Anti-Submarine Yacht from 1941. Returned to US 21st November 1945.

I have a 1948 'Record' (Equivalent to Lloyds Register) and can find no mention of her.
Paul Hood.

Maunsel

Post by Maunsel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Various RNVR Officer history sites have posted pages from WWII War Diaries 1941-1945. Entries show arrivals and departures of HMS Aletes to and from the Trinidad Station of the Caribbean Sea Frontier. These RNVR sites also list the names and war records of various officers who served on HMS Aletes during this period.

I'm reasonably certain that Aletes when a yacht was identical sister ship to Sylvia, Kenkora II, Placida, and Trudione, which all served as armed yachts in the USN. These were all traditional clipper bow, counter stern steel yachts resembling earlier steam yachts but with modern Diesel propulsion.
Attachments
Kenkora II, Gielow possible.JPG

Maunsel

Post by Maunsel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Here are some more of Aletes 'sister ships.
Attachments
Placida.jpg
Trudione as Carnelian.JPG
Sylvia 1930 BIW.JPG

Maunsel

Post by Maunsel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:16 am

I may have been mistaken that Aletes had a traditional clipper bow and counter stern. The attached picture is supposedly the Aletes at Bath Iron Works nearing completion.
Attachments
Aletes.JPG

Maunsel

Post by Maunsel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:00 pm

OOPS! I just realized the latest picture I posted above is NOT Aletes. Instead it was the Seapine which served in WWII as USS Rhodolite. Aletes was indeed identical to the traditional style yachts Placida, Trudione, Kenkora II, etc.

davet

Post by davet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm

According toLloyd's 1949/50 she was owned by Interinsular Mails Ltd. of Nassau, Bahamas and registered at Nassau. Her official number was 178604.
In Lloyd's 1956/57 she was owned by Gulf Stream Shipping Co. Ltd. of Nassau and still registered there.

Return to “Royal Navy Shipping”