ESSO WARWICKSHIRE

Deepol

ESSO WARWICKSHIRE

Post by Deepol » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Some memories of this 1962 AG Weser built Esso tanker taken by the late Alan Eadie who was her First Mate when he took these on a voyage from the Persian Gulf. Not sure of dates, probably late 60s.
She ended her days as a North Sea shuttle tanker and was scrapped in China in November 1988.
Attachments
EssoWarwickshire-Gulf.jpg
Anchored somewhere in the Persian Gulf
EssoWarwickshire-rough4.jpg
Some inclement weather to contend with
EssoWarwickshire-deck-painted.jpg
Fair weather and time to paint the main deck.
Paul Strathdee

manxtony

Re: ESSO WARWICKSHIRE

Post by manxtony » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi In the late 1960's and early 70's I served on the Warwickshire a couple of times with Alan Eadie, he was both mate and master. The last time i saw him was 6th May 1972 when i signed-off in Bremerhaven at the end of the dry-docking when he was master. as i recall he was the mate on my first tirp to sea in 1967, again on the Warwickshire, as i recall he had a party in his cabin for the ratings on the New Years Eve, which was someing of a supprise to me being a boy rating, i'd only joined two weeks before and was still finding it all vrey strange; but i enjoyed my time with Esso.

Campanula

Post by Campanula » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Recently I came across an article relating to Esso Warwickshire in a back number (24/04/1964) of my local paper, the Kenilworth Weekly News. It is headed “Keni lworth-made plaque is always at sea” and opens with the sentence “The Esso Petroleum Company this week issued photographs of a product of Kenilworth craftsman, sculptor and artist Walter Ritchie which has pride of place in their tanker the ‘Esso Warwickshire’
The article then goes on to describe how the plaque, standing 15 inches high and based on the County coat of arms, was designed and made.
What happened to the plaque when Esso Warwickshire went to the breakers in 1988? It was the work of one of Britain’s leading sculptors and was made from sheets of bronze and silver. Surely it was it was not treated as a piece of ordinary scrap metal.

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Possibly, scrap merchants have little sense of nostalgia just looking at something as scrap value. However it could have been saved and maybe even went back to the county. I'll ask around and maybe some old Esso folk might know.
Paul Strathdee

Campanula

Post by Campanula » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks.

I've not been able to discover anything locally.

Return to “Asia / Australasia / Africa / Americas”