Asiafreighter

Non-Clyde related shipping and ports: Rest of Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland
japottinger

Asiafreighter

Post by japottinger » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Lying off
Attachments
Asiafreighter s.jpg

John Cassels

Re: Asiafreighter

Post by John Cassels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks for posting.

Nice to see her again. Was ch.mate on her for 3 years - including the "gas"incident.

tonycannon

Post by tonycannon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:49 pm

Following my 7 years at Greenock with Johnson ScanStar (Blue Star Line, Johnson Line and East Asiatic Company) as a container planner/ship's agent I worked with Seatrain at Greenock in the same type of job for 18 months in 1979/1980 before being made redundant when they sold all their shipping interests to concentrate on oil refining, I think.

That was in the days of John Hodgkinson, Alan Paterson, Angus Cameron, Ian Murray et al.
Tony Cannon

John Cassels

Post by John Cassels » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 am

At least one of them ( I think it was the Asiafreighter ) was re engined and sold to MSC.

Was on all 4 of them as mate but the Asiafreighter was the one with the larger experimental USN gas turbines.

Yea , those were the days . Tramping down the Minch at 36 knots - nothing like it and never to be seen again.

John Cassels

Post by John Cassels » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:35 am

tonycannon wrote:Following my 7 years at Greenock with Johnson ScanStar (Blue Star Line, Johnson Line and East Asiatic Company) as a container planner/ship's agent I worked with Seatrain at Greenock in the same type of job for 18 months in 1979/1980 before being made redundant when they sold all their shipping interests to concentrate on oil refining, I think.

That was in the days of John Hodgkinson, Alan Paterson, Angus Cameron, Ian Murray et al.

Bit after my time.

Our fellow member Peter Sommerville was the man then.

peter sommerville

Post by peter sommerville » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Pic of one of them leaving Greenock

Hope you have recovered from your holiday John

Rgds Petet
Attachments
seatrain.jpg

John Cassels

Post by John Cassels » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Have indeed Peter.

2 vestas down , only 32 to go.

Time to plan another trip !.

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:08 am

tonycannon wrote:Following my 7 years at Greenock with Johnson ScanStar (Blue Star Line, Johnson Line and East Asiatic Company) as a container planner/ship's agent I worked with Seatrain at Greenock in the same type of job for 18 months in 1979/1980 before being made redundant when they sold all their shipping interests to concentrate on oil refining, I think.

Great days then. Plenty of activity at the then Container Terminal and ship visits................
Paul Strathdee

Return to “UK & Ireland”