Introduction : The Elderslie Drydocks

Angus Mac Kinnon

Introduction : The Elderslie Drydocks

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:59 am

This is a new short forum designed to capture all shipping that made use of the above Clyde facility from December 1958 through July 1964. This was the period spent by the writer at the Barclay Curle facility in Scotstoun West.

The Yard was acquired by Barclay Curle in 1912, having previously been the Yard & Graving Dock of John Shearer & Sons.

Shipbuilding ended at this facility in the 1930s, with the focus turning to ship-repairs from that time.

In 1974, the Yard was acquired by neighbour Yarrow Shipbuilders.

It is hoped that the new forum provides some interest and stirs a few memories of the great days of Clyde Shipping.

And finally, my appreciation and thanks to Colin Campbell whose knowledge and patience on the archival mysteries of the Mitchell Library made it possible for me to carry out the necessary historical research to put this item together :clap:

Angus MacKinnon
Angus Mac Kinnon

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Introduction : The Elderslie Drydocks

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:46 pm

SORRY ! Apologies for the delay in getting this article properly 'off the ground' - an unexpected medical problem cropped up and is my only excuse. I do hope to be back on the case in the weeks to come and, health permitting, continue until its completion.

Angus Slow-Coach
Angus Mac Kinnon

Return to “The Elderslie Drydocks of Scotstoun West”