Duchalburn

Enquiries and information about ships built or owned on the Clyde
benthespaniel

Duchalburn

Post by benthespaniel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi

I'm doing a bit of research into a painting of the Duchalburn that was given to me by my late grandfather. It's a watercolour of the Duchalburn done by a painter called Godfrey from Newcastle, NSW in Australia.
I've been in touch with the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney as well as the NMM in Greenwich.
Here's a cut and paste..
Painter
Godfrey, William
William Godfrey was an Australian watercolour painter and photographer.
Active in Newcastle, New South Wales in the late 1800s

Ship

Duchalburn
Official number 93194
This vessel was a steel 4-mast barque of 2058 tons, built in Glasgow in 1887 by Barclay Curle & Co. According to this vessel's entry in the 1888-89 edition of Lloyd's register of British and foreign shipping the owner listed was R. Shankland & Co., the port of registry was Greenock and the master was named J. Hunter.
Other masters listed were:
Edition Master
1891-92 J. Canese
1897-98 R. Forbes
1899-1900 R. Forbes
1900-01 R. Forbes
1904-05 E. A. Dent
1906-07 E. A. Dent
1907-08 E. A. Dent
1910-11 P. Arnaldsen - by this edition this vessel was registered in Norway and had been renamed Freden.

I know that she was sunk by a U Boat in the Channel in 1917.
My interest lies in R Forbes - he was my grandfather's cousin or uncle. I have his Merchant Navy medals from the gGreat War

My grandfather told me the ship was a wool clipper that ran between the UK and Australia and that she was owned by the Burn Line.
I have a beautiful watercolour of the ship and I'm looking to find out a bit more about her.
She was built on the Clyde so I was wondering if you might be able to help me or at least point me in the right direction.

Would you know where I might be able to find some of her manifests - where she sailed to, when and what was her cargo

Any idea where I might be able to see any plans / drawings of her?

Thanks in anticipation

Return to “Ships and Shipowners”