Gulf Stream - Iron barque

Enquiries and information about ships built or owned on the Clyde
Voyager

Gulf Stream - Iron barque

Post by Voyager » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Iron barque Gulf Stream, completed by Russell, Port Glasgow in 1884. 32 feet to 1 inch. Completely hand-built. NOT A KIT!
Bob
Attachments
Complete (Medium).JPG
Gulf Stream

Voyager

Re: Gulf Stream - Iron barque

Post by Voyager » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:22 am

The Gulf Stream was severely damaged on its way to Belgium, causing me to virtually give up on ship models and finally call it a day. Interest in this type of ship has been in decline for some time now.
Bob
Attachments
Gulf Stream damage.JPG

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:50 pm

I would have thought that non-accompanied transport of a delicate piece such as this would have been pretty risky at the best of times?
david watson

riverman

Post by riverman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Would quite agree David, especially today when you see the way some items are handled in transit. If it has 'Fragile handle with care' label on it they would probably give it a kick!
paul hunter

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 am

I have sent over 50 out over the past twenty years, as far afield as the Fare East, USA and Australia without damage. It is not so much the occasional damage, but the fact that couriers are very reluctant to pay out full insurance claims. This hapenned several months ago. I refunded the buyer in full including the £70 it cost me to send it, but I haven't felt inclined to restore it yet. The insurance paid out, but not in full, and I have to pay income tax on what they did pay. They would not refund the £70 that I paid to send it either, so I ended up with less than £2 an hour to build it - a long way from the minium wage. At the age of 74, I have finally called a halt to it all and will have to find something else to occupy my time! Actually, it was very strong, as it was rigged in wire rather than thread!
Bob
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riverman

Post by riverman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:02 am

I can see your point Bob it must be heartbreaking, but it would be a great pity to give up building such fine models.
paul hunter

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:49 am

I really feel that interest in the UK has generally died out. When I take them to the local ship model society meetings, they scarcely get more than a casual glance, and rarely a comment. Maybe understandable with sailing ships, but even more modern steam and motor ships attract little interest, although overseas collectors love them and can't get enough of them. I have been building them for over 60 years now, but kits have taken over the hobby of model shipbuilding.
Bob
Attachments
Amarna (Large).JPG

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I guess the lack of interest is a sign of the times, Bob. When I went to sea in 1957 every kid knew all about ships. Somebody in their family either built them or sailed in them or managed them, and with the many shipyards just outside the windows showing the daily growth of the newbuildings you could not but be interested in ships.

Nowadays "retail parks" fill the view, and the river is dead commercially. The only upbeat is the surge in cruise ships which I can see at GOT from my kitchen window.

But the young people of today, whilst being brilliant in many spheres, have lost interest in things maritime and have become fixated with "IT" and "Graphic design" and "tanning saloons". And I notice whenever I go on a cruise I seem to be the only person who sees whales or dolphins or flying fish or floating garbage. Nobody uses their eyes any longer. The "in" thing seems to be getting themselves burnt by lying on a lounger all day, or buying ridiculously expensive fripperies from the onboard shops.

Rant over. Some folk might think I'm getting old! Sorry that you're giving up, Bob.
david watson

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Yes, all true. I may change over to drawing plans, as it costs virtually nothing and I can store them in two jig saw puzzle caddys that I have just purchased - Bob
PS
This is a ship I sailed in 1962 - my drawing -
Attachments
Frederick T Everard.jpg
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riverman

Post by riverman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Fine drawings indeed, was on the Singularity and William J.
paul hunter

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 pm

We usually sailed out of Clydebank, foreign articles across to the Baltic ports etc. Interesting and quite enjoyable times. I visted in later years when I was in Furness Withy's Sagamore, and even later from cruise ship Reina del Mar in Southamton in 1969. A lot of the crew were still there even in 1969.
Bob

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Here is Speciality that I built a few years ago.
Bob
Attachments
Speciality in hand (Large).jpg

riverman

Post by riverman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Lovely model, the Singularity was the only vessel I was to sail on which didn't have radar and kept you on your toes in reduced visibility.
paul hunter

Return to “Ships and Shipowners”